What Type Of Wallboard? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: N Carolina
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

What type of wallboard?

I recently purchased a home that was built in '66. It has a type of wallboard that I'm unfamiliar with, having only dealt with gypsum board or paneled walls up until now. This is about the same thickness as gypsum board, but the make up is more along the lines of concrete or something similar. There are quite a few places in need of patching and lots of nail holes to fill. What is this called, and is regular spackling paste a good fix? Also, what are good fasteners to use on this wallboard when it comes time to mount my own pictures and stuff? I've noticed that an electronic stud finder will not work with this material and it is impossible to see any seams or hints of the original fasteners to give indications as to the locations of studs in the walls. I can't even make good use of the old "tap with the hammer" method to hear where the studs are. Any info??


woodeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central MO.
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 25

Maybe it's plaster over wire mesh? I came across that on a rental house we own that was built in '50. The wire mesh screws up your stud sensor, or at least mine.



EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Pro Painter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: northwest suburbs chicago
Posts: 448
Rewards Points: 250

Sure does sound like plaster walls. This is not hung in sheets, but laid on in layers with trowels.

There may or may not be wire mesh, but there will be lathe. Lathe is strips of wood running horizonally, spaced about an inch apart, from ceiling to floor. You should be able to screw into the lathe without much problem. If you miss, just move up or down a half inch.

You can patch small areas with spackling paste. Joint compound should be used on larger areas.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venting of Cathedral Ceiling on Shed type roof sandyman720 Roofing/Siding 7 08-02-2007 10:27 PM
what type of coating for flat roof kenny357 Roofing/Siding 5 06-25-2007 04:47 PM
Comment on those Special Type of Treated Wood for Deck ? KUIPORNG Landscaping & Lawn Care 4 07-04-2006 12:38 PM
Type L Or M Copper Pipe bobo Plumbing 1 11-20-2005 07:53 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1