What Sprayer To Use To Spray Some Cabinets With SW Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What sprayer to use to spray some cabinets with SW paint

I'am also in a dilema to what sprayer to use to spray some cabinets with the SW paint you mentioned. I was also looking at the tradeworks 150 for $299.00. After reading the comment of others in this blog I'm back to square one. Can you tell me what you finally decided and if the end results were good.

Thanks

Advertisement

jrs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume you are thinking of spraying semi-gloss latex or something for reasons I can only imagine rather than rolling or brushing it on? You were thinking you could thin it with water and not an acrylic medium and expecting to get some decent finish out of a $300 sprayer groaning as it spits out paint at low psi but with tips so cheap it atomizes all over everything but the cabinets?

If you must do this, please borrow or rent decent spray equipment.

I have been known to spray the cabinet interiors when doing closet interiors but only if I have an empty house and can mask off everything but the pets left behind.

Spraying is a great concept and the subcontractors I use are extremely good at it. Not one would recommend it in a lived in situation unless everything near can be masked off though.

And for cabinets? You are certainly not going to get the thickness of paint on them you need to ever be able to wipe them off spraying without a few coats. Only time I sprayed cabinets was for a client with antique metal ones they wanted to keep. Put a nice automotive type finish on them that could not have been done with brushes and rollers. Family had to be on vacation when we did it though.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 12-12-2009 at 06:56 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I appreciate the information but I don't intend to spray the cabinets indoors. I was told by the rep for SW that I could spray with the .o15 tip. And that with the SW waterbourne paint that I should not thin the paint. Maybe he just wanted to sell a spayer!

However, I spoke with someone else and I was told that if I could use a machine with at least 3000 psi and use a .017 tip that I should get decent results.

WHat do you think. I don't want to use an oil based paint.

Thanks
jrs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I think, unless your are accustomed to using spray equipment, you should use a nice 2-1/2" angled sash brush and a 3/4" nap roller and put paint on your cabinets rather than blowing it at it 3000psi (sounds a bit excessive by the way). And of course high quality paint store paint and primer. Degloss the cabinets first and then prime and roll and brush two coats of paint, with Floetrol added. Using this technique, you will match anything you hope to achieve with spraying paint as a novice?

Or as suggested, if your are intent on this, find the best paint sprayers in your area and see if they will swing by with the equipment they have and already know how to use to knock this little job out for you after work some night.

You cannot thin latex semi gloss "enamels" beyond a certain point and you should never do so with water. You need something like Floetrol.

Good luck. I love using my spray painters when it matches the situation. I don't see that yours does.

Last edited by user1007; 12-12-2009 at 10:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Mindsgoing (08-06-2010)
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Finisher

Rewards Points: 75

If you were planning on spraying some 'garage' cabinets, then a good quality semi gloss paint put on with an airless should be fine.

0.015-0.017 tips are waaaaaay too big for cabinet work.

I would not recommend spraying bathroom or kitchen cabinets until you are very well accustomed to how a sprayer works, what techniqes to use, how to properly prep them, and what kinds of finishing materials to spray them with.

Kitchens are the centerpiece of a home. You would be amazed how fast you can ruin them with a sprayer.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
I would not recommend spraying bathroom or kitchen cabinets until you are very well accustomed to how a sprayer works, what techniqes to use, how to properly prep them, and what kinds of finishing materials to spray them with.

Kitchens are the centerpiece of a home. You would be amazed how fast you can ruin them with a sprayer.
Finally at least one more voice of reason

Advertisement