What Should I Do? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

what should I do?

Hello, after removing old cabinetry and tiles on my backsplash I noticed what I have previously painted was actually a layer of paper that is now peeling off of my walls paint and all leaving behind a soft sheetrock type board. My question is did people paper sheetrock in the 70's? It's not like wall paper it actually is a very thin contruction paper like consistency. If I peel all of the lose pieces off the wall will be bumpy and noticeable when priming and painting. Do I need to replace the whole wall's sheetrock to get a smothe and even finish?

thanks in advance.

Advertisement

pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

what should I do?

What color is the soft sheetrock type board?

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

what should I do?

If what's behind that paper looks like the gypsum core of drywall, then my guess would be that this paper was originally stuck to it.

Is it feasible to remove only the loose paper and apply strips of fiberglass mesh drywall joint tape over the area where the paper has been removed?

If so, that's what I'd do, painting with white wood glue diluted with enough water to make it into a paintable consistancy after applying the strips of fiberglass mesh. Then, I'd apply a second layer of strips of fiberglass mesh going 90 degrees to the first layer, and paint again with diluted white wood glue.

As the glue dries, it'll bond the fiberglass mesh to the gypsum and paper surrounding the exposed gypsum to replace the strength of the missing paper.

Then, simply apply several coats of drywall joint compound over that, sand smooth, prime and paint.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

what should I do?

Is there any kind of paper left behind when the paper that is peeling is removed? Pictures might be helpful here.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

what should I do?

here is a picture of the wall with a white arrow this was before the kitchen was gutted. so the question is do I use Kelabay's suggestion with the glue and the mesh? or should I just replace the sheetrock entirely in that corner and deal with the doorway, ceiling and floor seams. thanks for all of you advice any more input will be great.
Attached Thumbnails
what should I do?-img_2673-small-custom-.jpg  
pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

what should I do?

We need a picture of what it looks like now, so we can see your problem.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

what should I do?

The proper course of action will be determined by your answers to the questions we posted, or pictures of the area now

I think a coat of Gardz (specialty primer) and some joint compound might do it, but I don't have enough information from you to tell if that is the case
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

what should I do?

Sounds like you've torn the face paper off of the drywall and the core is exposed. As suggested above, you CAN seal with primer, apply paper or mesh tape, and finish with a couple of coats of mud. If you go with the mesh tape, a "setting" type compound is recommended for the first coat. A close-up picture would help, but I think I know what you're describing.

Advertisement