What Is The Proper Caulk For This? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 156

What is the proper caulk for this?

The caulk around one of our window frames (interior) is cracking. See attached pic. I'm looking for a recommendation of a specific caulk to use. It needs to be paintable. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the proper caulk for this?-windowcaulkcracking.jpg  

Advertisement

Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

Remove all of it that you can. That's a pretty big crack for caulking to be effective. Get something as flexible as possible such as:
Attached Thumbnails
What is the proper caulk for this?-100_2180.jpg  

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Rav (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 534

Nothing wrong with those caulks, but use Alex 230 just because I'm seldom in the Sherwin Williams store.
Please pay attention to the part where he said remove the old first.
New is not going to stick to the old.
You only need a small hole in the nozzle.
It does not need to be allover the wall and trim.
Put it on, wipe with finger then wipe with a damp sponge.
Rav (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Big Stretch works well for cracks that are prone to movement like that one appears to be.
I agree with Gym, your best bet is to cut out the old caulk. If the crack is over a 1/4 inch or so, it helps to use a foam backer rod first as a base for the caulk.
Big Stretch is paintable but it has a long drying time, especially if its cool or humid. Follow the directions on drying time for painting.

I think there are some newer elastomeric caulks comparable to Big Stretch with shorter drying times, but I haven't tried them yet.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-12-2014), Rav (01-11-2014), ToolSeeker (02-06-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Also Alex 230 or any Dap product is at the low end of the quality scale
Look it up.
It is all that Joe uses but that does not make it a quality material
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Rav

Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
Also Alex 230 or any Dap product is at the low end of the quality scale
Look it up.
It is all that Joe uses but that does not make it a quality material
What product would you use?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
What product would you use?
Personally. I use this, but any top quality caulk from a real paint store is better than Dap.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-12-2014), Rav (01-12-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 111

I'm posting in this thread, since I just bought the PPG Top Gun 400 pictured above.

We are in the middle of a whole house rehab and running into some problems. Would like to know the best product for interior caulking.

We realize the more we learn about painting, the more there is to know!

This 1st part of the project has been done for a little over a year, but we are seeing numerous places where the caulk is shrinking away and causing the paint to crack. (Upper level w/ 4 bdrms, 2 baths, 6-panel doors, many windows, 3 1/2" casing trim, hallway & stairway with all the base, chair rail, various other trim, etc. - in other words - ALOT!)

We started with Zinnser 123 primer, but then changed to Insul X Stix. The paint is Muralo Ultra Satin (WB).
For caulk, we used White Lightening 3006 - not good!

Question 1 - will this continue to get worse?, and Q 2 - what is the best method to fix what's already cracked?

In the next step of our project, still the Stix primer & Muralo paint, but we changed to Big Stretch caulk. This part was painted last fall, before we started using any heat for winter. We have forced air (natural gas), and keep our house at 68. But of course, we have all had some extreme cold spells this year.

Now, even with Big Stretch, there is separation in both the inside & outside corners of the crown moulding, some of the mitered corners of the window casing, and ALL of the spaces (1/8" or less) where the wood meets the vinyl around every window.

I've read where you should never count on an acrylic latex caulk, & that an acrylic urethane is superior.
But ALSO, that houses & wood will always have some movement...& that paint will always crack, rather than stretch?!?! So how can you paint over caulk?

Any recommendations for better or different products? Better methods?
We would like to do it right the first time!
JamesRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

With this extreme weather, ANY, caulk is going to separate somewhat. I would just wait for normal weather and probably 95% of them will close back up
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRW
I'm posting in this thread, since I just bought the PPG Top Gun 400 pictured above.

We are in the middle of a whole house rehab and running into some problems. Would like to know the best product for interior caulking.

We realize the more we learn about painting, the more there is to know!

This 1st part of the project has been done for a little over a year, but we are seeing numerous places where the caulk is shrinking away and causing the paint to crack. (Upper level w/ 4 bdrms, 2 baths, 6-panel doors, many windows, 3 1/2" casing trim, hallway & stairway with all the base, chair rail, various other trim, etc. - in other words - ALOT!)

We started with Zinnser 123 primer, but then changed to Insul X Stix. The paint is Muralo Ultra Satin (WB).
For caulk, we used White Lightening 3006 - not good!

Question 1 - will this continue to get worse?, and Q 2 - what is the best method to fix what's already cracked?

In the next step of our project, still the Stix primer & Muralo paint, but we changed to Big Stretch caulk. This part was painted last fall, before we started using any heat for winter. We have forced air (natural gas), and keep our house at 68. But of course, we have all had some extreme cold spells this year.

Now, even with Big Stretch, there is separation in both the inside & outside corners of the crown moulding, some of the mitered corners of the window casing, and ALL of the spaces (1/8" or less) where the wood meets the vinyl around every window.

I've read where you should never count on an acrylic latex caulk, & that an acrylic urethane is superior.
But ALSO, that houses & wood will always have some movement...& that paint will always crack, rather than stretch?!?! So how can you paint over caulk?

Any recommendations for better or different products? Better methods?
We would like to do it right the first time!

I don't know if this applies to your situation or not but a common mistake I see with DIY caulking jobs is over wiping.

Anyone can make caulk look good because if you make a mistake running the bead all you have to do is wipe it off with a wet rag. The problem is excessive wiping weakens the caulk.. It's kinda like thinning paint.

I have seen whole houses crack out because of this. In an effort to make the caulk look good, novice caulkers will wipe the bead to death. It's especially easy to do in places like inside miters on crown molding where it can be difficult to make a bead of caulk look good.

For the best results out if your caulk, its important to practice till you can run smooth beads that need very little wiping. Ideally you want to only wipe the bead once or twice with a damp or dry finger and leave it alone.

Also the caulk needs to be forced back inside the gaps on places like crown miters. If there is only a thin layer of caulk covering a gap, it doesn't stand much chance of lasting.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-06-2014), JamesRW (02-07-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
With this extreme weather, ANY, caulk is going to separate somewhat. I would just wait for normal weather and probably 95% of them will close back up
Chris is right. And, to be honest, sometimes it's not a failure of the caulk but it's the wood that is moving with the temperature changes that causes gaps to appear. This year has been especially bad for most of the country with so many temperature and humidity extremes.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
JamesRW (02-07-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,648

I have also found a DIY problem is making the hole in the tube too big. This applies way too much caulk and leads to over wiping. The smaller you can cut the tip the better.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
JamesRW (02-07-2014), Jmayspaint (02-06-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 111

Thanks for the responses! I'm following up on the questions my husband posted, cuz I'm the totally AR person who does the caulking!
I will be sure to watch the size I cut the opening, as well as any "over-wiping". I don't think this has been my problem in general but it's good to know.
Do you think we will find PPG 400 to be a higher quality than WL 3006?
Will it be equal to or better than Big Stretch?
In addition, I think I'm going to switch to caulking the window jamb to the (vinyl) window frame using a 100% silicone caulk. I did this on 3 large windows of our home in Fall 2011, and it has NOT cracked. I didn't go that route, bcuz I didn't like the "more shiny", "not painted to match" look, but I don't like all the cracks otherwise!
One last question for now - would I be able to use the ColorMatch caulk (Sashco) to touch up the places that are separating?
JamesRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRW View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'm following up on the questions my husband posted, cuz I'm the totally AR person who does the caulking!
I will be sure to watch the size I cut the opening, as well as any "over-wiping". I don't think this has been my problem in general but it's good to know.
Do you think we will find PPG 400 to be a higher quality than WL 3006?
Will it be equal to or better than Big Stretch?
In addition, I think I'm going to switch to caulking the window jamb to the (vinyl) window frame using a 100% silicone caulk. I did this on 3 large windows of our home in Fall 2011, and it has NOT cracked. I didn't go that route, bcuz I didn't like the "more shiny", "not painted to match" look, but I don't like all the cracks otherwise!
One last question for now - would I be able to use the ColorMatch caulk (Sashco) to touch up the places that are separating?
LISTEN to GYMSCHU and go with the Sherwin Williams stuff.
HighGlossPL38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighGlossPL38 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
Painting Contractor CT

Rewards Points: 77

I suggest getting a quality caulk at your local Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore store..good luck!

Advertisement

KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote