What Is The Problem With Washing Paint Tools In Sink? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

What is the problem with washing paint tools in sink?

I don't understand why there are claims of environmental problems that ensue when paint is washed down the drain. I am not talking about dumping leftover paint down the drain, but just cleaning brushes and tools in the sink. Of course, it makes sense to clean off whatever noticeable paint remains on the tools with newspaper or an old rag before you get to the sink. By the time you are there rinsing off the tools however, what is going down the drain is diluted paint water. If you have a septic tank, I can see where there may be issues in ground water but if you have a sewer system, all this is going to the sewage treatment plant which should be able to easily filter that out, right? Is the environmental concern in the ground water only for those with septic tanks?

Advertisement

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

who is saying that it is?

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #3

Well, you see a lot of info that says "You should not wash paint down the drain". Does that include diluted paint from cleaning or just plain old paint? That part is not clear. However, I have also seen info on the internet and have heard others say you should not even be cleaning your paint tools in the sink so it does not go down the drain. I know there are other methods to avoid the drain but the good ole drain is a lot easier!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 626

what type of paint? latex is OK if your just cleaning up. Oil paints no you have to use mineral spirits to clean that. And I would never just pour paint down the sink. You can take any unused paint to your county dump they have a hazmat station to take that off your hands mostly for free up to a certain gallon amount per year. If your a paint contractor you have to pay to use the service but normal home owners it is normally free.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

i NEVER clean my tools out in the sink because homeowners will freak if you leave a spot of paint in it and wont take the chance. go back to the shop to clean them or at home. i always have a pile of brushes on hand for multiple colours or paints. there is no problem with water based paints going down the sink.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

I agree with what is being said here but there seems to be a lot of misinformation on this topic out on the web. Here is one source that is completely against it.

http://greenanswers.com/q/27504/wate...aint-down-sink

Of course, this is slanted because it is an environmental website but nobody differentiates between latex paint, oil paint or any of the other conditions mentioned above. Their answer is PAINT DOWN THE DRAIN = BAD

Well, I still say if you have sewer lines, that paint water down the drain is not going to be hitting any water supply. That is going right to the treatment plant.

Last edited by Eagle One; 05-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bunch of opinions from people who have opinions.
The internet is filled with them.
Find a municipal waste treatment plant that says do not wash up latex in their system. I think much worse goes down the drain and they deal with it.
Kind of wondering why you are bothering to have this discussion- you seem to already know..
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Well, I don't know for certain and I like to be sure about these things before I dispute them with others. Good idea about contacting the waste treatment. That should present the facts I need.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #9

just buy cheap tools, at the end of the job just toss them out so paint doesnt go down the drain helping the environment :p
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
just buy cheap tools, at the end of the job just toss them out so paint doesnt go down the drain helping the environment :p
thats what I do, I just toss things away instead of cleaning them. typically I will toss paint brushes every time I take a break or stop for the day. rollers too. Ive been thinking of getting some cheap tools to work on the vehicles so I can just toss them when they get dirty instead of wiping them off.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

I've been absent for awhile, did I miss something? I feel I've stumbled into the twilight zone. The "facts" you "need" Eagle One, are you writing an article? I clean brushes in the sink, in the customer's sink, everytime I use them. Cleaning up the sink area is a novel idea prince, works every time. The reason we have waste water facilities is to clean the water we dispose of. I'd be more concerned about them eliminating the bacteria than I am about the chemicals. Besides, as brushjockey pointed out, I'm sure the sink is the catch all for all sorts of household chemicals, food wastes, and any other random toxicity people don't know how to get rid of. I guess this is the latest growing hysteria ginned up by the enviro wackos. I'll stop cleaning brushes in the sink when everyone else stops putting things that I might object to down the drain, wait, I'll hold my breath.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #12

theres always crazy customers you leave even a spec of anything and they are calling the office or try and blame all of the other paint spots in there laundry sink on me to try and get a nice new sink. i work for the insurance, people think they won the lottery and try to get the world.

Advertisement