What Primer Should I Use On My Trim, Doors And Window Sills? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What primer should i use on my trim, doors and window sills?

First, we are installing new trim throughout the house. It comes preprimed but doesn't look like a full/even coat. I did some searching online and many people said they have primed it themselves before painting. So, do i need to prime again?

Second, what primer should be used? We are using new preprimed trim but painting over the existing sills, doors and door frames. The doors are contractor grade hollow core that the house was build with.

Would a 'house' brand like valspar or behr primer be acceptable for this? I know their paints aren't great but wasn't sure if any primer would work.

How about B-I-N or Bullsey primer?

Advertisement

MGB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cheap paints are not worth the cost no matter what you want to use them for. By quality paint or accept crap quality and much more work. Trim is primed with acrylic latex paint. Exterior for the exterior side and interior for the interior side. Then a good Latex paint like Benjamin Moore.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Cheap paints are not worth the cost no matter what you want to use them for. By quality paint or accept crap quality and much more work. Trim is primed with acrylic latex paint. Exterior for the exterior side and interior for the interior side. Then a good Latex paint like Benjamin Moore.
Well i already have the paint, i went with Sherwin Williams though not Benjamin Moore. What primer would you recomend though? Is B-I-N considered a cheap primer? it seems middle of the road price wise. And all my trim and window sills are indoor, so it will be interior primer/paint.
MGB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like onlly the trim is primed and everytjing else is wood maybe with some kind of finish on it like a poly? I would use kilz latex primer on everything. Bin is good but the orders are very strong. Kiltzs seals well, adheres to many surfaces, and blocks out color good. As far as the paint I used many different brands and find Pittsburg paint but only in the Grand Distinction line works well for me.
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Go back to the SW store and get their latex/underlay enamel underlay prrimer. Buy some Floetrol to add to your finish coat. You will be a happy camper.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Go back to the SW store and get their latex/underlay enamel underlay prrimer. Buy some Floetrol to add to your finish coat. You will be a happy camper.

Definitely, forget the kilz, behr, valspare or anything else from the big box places, they are all crap. The original Kilz oil would be the only paint worth buying there and you would not need it for what you are doing.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote