Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What paints are good?

I have seen may bad things about behr and valspar, so what is a good brand to use as far as primer and paint? I will be priming and painting new drywall on celings and walls, any tips on primers and paints to use? is sherwin a good safe bet to end up with a good result?

bansheex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

What paints are good?

You really can't go wrong with SW or Benjamin Moore. Some of the regional paints are also pretty good. (Miller, Parker, California, Dunn Edwards)

As long as you shop at real paint stores vs. places like Home Crapo, Kmart, etc you'll generally get good products that painting professionals use and like.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

What paints are good?

this site is very anti big box store. keep that in mind with what you hear. my favorite brand is sherwin williams but it's just because i think they offer the most for my money. it's barely more than behr/valspar for a base paint {like promar 200 @21-23/gal} and it's a better product. even classic 99 which is their popular consumer paint retails at 29/gal. miller isn't a bad paint either and it's sold at big box stores as well as actual paint stores. our local fred myer sells miller, it's a NW chain store. behr is my least favorite paint and imo is overpriced for what you get. both valspar and olympic are okay, most the time anyway. valspars contractor paints and ceiling paints are complete garbage though. olympic is made by ppg which like valspar and like SW are major chemical giants. all 3 are publicly traded stock and valued in the billions. i personally can't jump on the BM bus, it's just too costly for what you get.

if you're painting on new drywall and want to do a good job cheap put down one coat of new drywall primer and use two coats of classic 99 or pro mar 200, if you have any trim to do the $50/gal on pro classic is worth it. that stuff is just awesome for laying down flat on baseboard and trim it's one of the few paints that you can do trim with that doesn't leave noticeable brush strokes.

Last edited by racebum; 09-30-2010 at 07:21 PM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

What paints are good?

Excellent info to know. I will be doing baseboards and this is very helpful. It looks like Sherman Williams because I have one close to home. The certain models of paint is very useful so I know exactly what to buy for each application.
bansheex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

What paints are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheex View Post
I have seen may bad things about behr and valspar, so what is a good brand to use as far as primer and paint? I will be priming and painting new drywall on celings and walls, any tips on primers and paints to use? is sherwin a good safe bet to end up with a good result?
The best paint companies which make very high quality paints that I recommend are, Pratt and Lambert, Sherwin Williams, PPG, Benjamin Moore, Miller, Muralo, Fine Paints of Europe, C2, Farrow and Ball, and Frazee (their higher end paint is good.) But if you really want to make it easy on yourself, I would go with Pratt and Lambert's interior accolade line. It is self priming on raw drywall. Just apply two coats of that, no primer, and you are done, and you save yourself a coat, AND it is a very durable and scrubbable paint. Check out their 2010 J.D. Powers award:http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2010074
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerheart14 For This Useful Post:
AMDin93102 (12-19-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

What paints are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheex View Post
Excellent info to know. I will be doing baseboards and this is very helpful. It looks like Sherman Williams because I have one close to home. The certain models of paint is very useful so I know exactly what to buy for each application.

SherWin will be happy
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

What paints are good?

One thing to note is that many paint stores will give you a contractor's discount if you ask for it and sign up. This way you can get the Benjamin Moore or whatever brand you prefer for a little bit more than the cheap paint from the big boxes. If in doubt, buy a few of the sale paints in small sizes and try them out.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

What paints are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison1888 View Post
One thing to note is that many paint stores will give you a contractor's discount if you ask for it and sign up. This way you can get the Benjamin Moore or whatever brand you prefer for a little bit more than the cheap paint from the big boxes. If in doubt, buy a few of the sale paints in small sizes and try them out.
I'll give a homeowner discount if you ask for it (10%) but to get contractor price you have to be liscensed!!!!!
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #9

What paints are good?

kind of, a ccb# they don't ask for but a business tax id they do. that means you could own a computer store and apply as a contractor. our local SW is mostly about volume but are fairly flexible if you're a business owner and a repeat customer. the whole thing could be state to state, store to store?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

What paints are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerheart14 View Post
I'll give a homeowner discount if you ask for it (10%) but to get contractor price you have to be liscensed!!!!!
I wish - checked on discount and was informed "yeah, it's expensive". That puts SW and BM at about 150% of Behr, 200% of Wal-Mart and Glidden somewhere between Wally World and HD. Despite all the Behr bashing I went ahead and used it last weekend. Stuff sprayed beautifully and covered well. First time I used it so don't know what the durability is. I also didn't buy into the "no primer" hype. Primed with Glidden gripper. Thinned for spraying with Floetral. In other words, business as usual.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #11

What paints are good?

not quite. SW has a really good inexpensive paint called pro mar 200, most well sell it to you for about $23 a gallon, that's right in line with behr and it's a better product.

also, if you used behr and have a decent turn out. that doesn't actually surprise me. sometimes the stuff is alright. the reason so many pros hate it is because you never know what it's going to do. one color may work and the next may streak and fade.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,028

What paints are good?

Even I have spun the Behr roulette wheel and landed on "Good Paint Job" before, but half the time it lands on "White won't cover white" or "Saggs".
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

What paints are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Even I have spun the Behr roulette wheel and landed on "Good Paint Job" before, but half the time it lands on "White won't cover white" or "Saggs".

More like 85% for me. It never was explained why white on white would not work. I will never understand that one.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote