DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What paint to use on new england house on the ocean

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
I am painting the trim on a house that is right on the ocean. What is best paint for durability to harsh NE winters?

#2 ·
Although the premium exterior products from Ben Moore and Pittsburgh are excellent, I give a slight edge to Duration from Sherwin Williams for this case

...and I should mention I am not a SW fanatic, I've used far, far, more Ben Moore than Sherwin Williams over the years, and I really like the Pittsburgh premium exterior paints
But for my own exterior (and you can see by my location I'm out in the ocean), I went with the SW Duration

#3 ·
I'm a Ben Moore guy as well, never even think of SW. I was considering Pittsburgh Sunproof, but I'm still researching. I'm painting trim that has many previous coats. I just primed w/ Kilz, which I usually use sparingly. You we're happy w/ Duration though?

#5 ·
You we're happy w/ Duration though?
Yes
Happy enough with it in a professional capacity to strongly recommend it for houses in tough environments (like on the ocean), and tough substrates (like old over old, questionable, paint or peal prone problem areas)

It's "self-priming", which I don't use as an excuse not to prime if needed
(there's simply no substitute)
However, the extra adhesion does help in problem areas

Normally I'd let the customer decide BM MoorGlo/Soft/Gloss, Pittsburgh Manor Hall, SW Duration...they are all pretty good

If it's on the water, has a few layers, or is (relatively) wet or old/weathered, or has previous pealing issues (not due to being a "wet house"-dampness from the inside out or something else major), or there are other concerns, I usually recommend the Duration

G
#4 ·
Pratt & Lambert Accolade. I'm not usually a huge fan of the stuff since it can be difficult to work with, but from my understanding it's used a fair bit in Hawaii and holds up the salt spray better than any similar product on the market. I haven't heard of any complains due to extreme weather either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.