Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

What paint(s) should I buy?

I bought a new condo, and it has a few fairly ugly walls in dark colors. Plus, whoever painted it did a fairly sloppy job, there's base coat dribbled all over the trim and so forth.

I'm on a budget, and I have gift card thingies for both Ace and Lowes. I wanted to paint the walls one color (a near-white lavender, likely in eggshell), and the trim another (a medium-pale lavender, likely in semi-gloss).
To make optimum use of available resources, I was probably going to buy the wall color at one place, and the trim color at the other. And I will probably buy primer for the dark walls, though I may not bother with it for the pale ones.

I'm willing to pay a bit more for paint that's good quality and will last, but like I said, funds are finite. I'd really prefer to stay under ~$25/gallon for paint, unless paying a little more will mean a very large difference in quality.

Given my constraints, in my situation, what would you buy? If it makes a difference, since I'll need rather less of the trim paint I'm willing to pay a little more per gallon for that if necessary.

(if you have any other advice for me, I'd love to hear that, too)

tamtrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #2

Tam, all the major paint companies have quality paints for all budgets. You don't have to buy the $50 a gallon paint to get good results. For example Sherwin-Williams has Sherscrub, Promar 400, or even Promar 200 that is priced more reasonably than Duration. Now, since you have a Lowe's gift card, I think you would be ok buying some Valspar or Olympic paint for your project. Both are reasonably priced and do a decent job on walls and trim. Maybe not the quality of SW or Benjamin Moore, but decent paint nonetheless.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

So... do you think using Valspar or Olympic for the walls and Benjamin Moore for the trim (Ace has BM paints) would give me reasonable results? (if I can use both gift cards, I'm less likely to need any money beyond the cards...)

And, any opinion on Valspar vs Olympic, or the specific type/variety I should go for in either?... I suspect I can afford the "premium" (or whatever) in the Valspar while still staying within my budget, possibly also in the Olympic.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtrible View Post
So... do you think using Valspar or Olympic for the walls and Benjamin Moore for the trim (Ace has BM paints) would give me reasonable results? (if I can use both gift cards, I'm less likely to need any money beyond the cards...)

And, any opinion on Valspar vs Olympic, or the specific type/variety I should go for in either?... I suspect I can afford the "premium" (or whatever) in the Valspar while still staying within my budget, possibly also in the Olympic.
Top of the line Valspar is closer to $35 a gallon.......their mid-level paint is about $27 a gallon. Olympic is priced a bit lower.......and, yes, I see no problem with Valspar or Olympic on the walls and BM on the trim.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Top of the line Valspar is closer to $35 a gallon.......their mid-level paint is about $27 a gallon. Olympic is priced a bit lower.......and, yes, I see no problem with Valspar or Olympic on the walls and BM on the trim.
Hrm. Their website says that Valspar's "ultra premium" is $27/gal; the Olympic premium seems to be $23/gal. Though the "signature colors" may be the top of the line for Valdspar, and that is $34/gal. Olympic ONE is ~$25.

Betwixt Valspar Ultra Premium, Olympic Premium, and Olympic ONE, which would you chose?... Or do you think it matters?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

Tam, any of those choices would be fine. I tend to favor Valspar Ultra Premium as I have used it quite a bit, and, at that price, I say "go for it."
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #7

I see Behr paint - their interior latex - is now on sale at $19.95/gallon.

Wow.

Finally, something that may be worth it.... Not IMO, however.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
I see Behr paint - their interior latex - is now on sale at $19.95/gallon.

Wow.

Finally, something that may be worth it.... Not IMO, however.
I doubt it

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, lowes, paint brands