Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

What to paint over Behr Low Luster Sealant?

Shame on me for trusting Behr. I tried their brand new Deck Over because the Behr rep was in Home Depot when I was desperately looking for a paint/coating to go over an old concrete porch that we'd tried chemically and with power washing to remove all old paint. We got it smooth enough to paint over but not clean enough to use stain as desired. Deck Over is a non-slip resin that did coat pretty well although it still showed roller marks even with two coats and bubbles in some areas when it's hot out. Mostly, it shows ALL dirt, foot traffic even after a few days and doesn't hose off or even wipe off easily. Behr customer service said to clean it with their cleaner and put their sealer on to keep it clean and easy to clean. I still had to put a very thin coat of Deck Over just to cover scuffs and foot traffic and roller marks even though they said not to. I was NOT going to start from scratch with a new color. Then, after drying, applied the Low Luster Sealer. It goes on milky and states it will dry clear. Not true. I have stamped concrete and it kept running in the shallow crevices and dried white there and also collected in the cracks where it is just a milky color. I am sick. Customer service today said another coat of the sealer will make the milky color disappear. Tell me how that is going to happen when the first coat is dry? Won't it just make it look worse? What other product is easily cleanable, won't wear and chip, and can be color matched to go over (stick to) Behr's sealant???

scramblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I do not know this product specifically and I cringe over the brand name but in fairness if a product is looking milky in the stamped recesses of your concrete and not on the surface itself? It has pooled in the crevices and needs to cure out. I would be patient for a bit longer and then see the situation you have. You have 1/8 to 1/4 quarter inch of resin pooled and trying to do its thing at this point. Putting anything over it will not help.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Agree; a build up will cause this type of product to appear milky- I assume the directions recommend thin coats, with adequate dry time in between. Allowing this product to cure properly is vital.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will22 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-28-2013)

Tags
behr low luster sealer, color, concrete porch