What To Paint First - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

what to paint first

main question is: should i paint the walls or trim (incl crown) first?
this is a kitchen, so i'll also be painting around my new 10k cabs. my nerves are already warming up just thinking about getting paint near them.
using latex on everything.
the trim is factory-primed, the walls are bare drywall paper + mud.
also appears that most prefer no tape... any tape fans with reasons? thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by firstimereno; 11-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.
firstimereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

what to paint first

The walls and trim should have been painted before the cabinets ever got installed. Now you will have to cover the cabinets with plastic, same with the counters and get to work. Ceiling first, then walls, then trim, in that order.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 672

what to paint first

Why where the walls not primed and painted before the cabinets went in?
Now you stuck with having tape and cover everything with plastic before painting.
Ceiling, all the trim, then prime and paint the walls.
Always cut in before rolling.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
princelake (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

what to paint first

Paint walls first, then trim. Tape off and plastic cabinets do not use drop cloth as most from DIY stores are not plastic backed. When you paint trim use an expensive angled brush for latex and cut in carefully by hand, tape almost always seeps paint. When your cutting in with a brush by tape treat it as if the tape is not there be careful and try not to get paint on it, it is an extra precaution not a blocker.
jrgodwindesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 672

what to paint first

Sorry gregzoll we must have pushed the button at the same time we were having the exact same thoughts. Strange.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

what to paint first

As you see , there is more than one way to do things.
But understand, it is about systems.
Usually I try and prime walls/ceiling before cabs, but it wasn't done that way.
I would still prime them first.
If you do trim next- you don't have to worry about getting it up on the walls, that will be fixed later. Finish completely.
Then tape off base and anything that "gravity" will get splatters on.
Finish ceiling, then cut wall paint to trim and ceiling, and your base is taped off so easy cut there.
Big problem with tape is bleeding underneath. Use a putty knife to seal tap down . Might be worthwhile for a newb to use frog tape for this reason.
Pull tape after paint sets and clean up lines.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
fdf

Rewards Points: 75

what to paint first

firsttimereno,

I know the guys gave you good advice, they know what they say...it's a shame you got everything done kinda backwards so that your job now will be harder...I know pro painters hate using tape...but...I just painted two room (after the ceiling) and I used Frog Tape. I used tape once before many years ago, and it did 'leak' and swore no more...but I read so many good things about the Frog Tape, I tried it...worked great, no leaks at all...I pressed it down really hard along the edge where the paint was going, and left the top 1/4" just barely stuck to the ceiling...so the paint part did it's job and it was easy to take off...I left it on until the next day and really, it came out perfect. One of the rooms has crown moulding...I waited a full day then taped the wall under the moulding, pressing hard just under the moulding, and kept it barely stuck below that point...painted the crown moulding...waited a full 24 hrs, pulled off the tape...another perfect job.

This will at least give you some 'food for thought'. Good luck with your project!
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 512

what to paint first

1. prime walls.
2. paint ceilling
3. paint trim
4. paint walls

i caulk my trim and putty the nails hoes and "slop" the trim paint on then i cut a nice line with the wall paint.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

what to paint first

I would tape the cabinets where they meet the walls 1st before doing any painting in the kitchen, take the time and do a perfect job when applying the painters tape to ensure a seamlest paint line. Then cover your new cabinets with a thin plastic poly and secure with a painter tape to hold in place to avoid paint splatter for the entire dutration of this project.
1-With the trim, base and crown factor primed I would paint these with 1 or 2 coats of the finish before they are installed, this is much easier to do when they are on saw horses and your not crawling around the floor or on a ladder.
2-prime all the areas that will require
3-Complete the ceiling painting
4-Roll the 1st coat on the walls, this will avoid the need to cut in with a brush at the wall where it meets the crown, trim and base
5-Install the new trim and caulk seams and gaps with Alex Plus paintable dap caulking, fill all nails holes and sand smooth
6-paint the base, trim and crown with the final coat, make sure you cover the dap caulking with the trim paint and do not worry to much if the trim paint get on the walls
7-2nd coat of wall paint, this is where you will need to cut in along the trim and to cover any spots where you have previously hit when painting the trims finish coat, it is much easier to cut the walls to the trim then it is to cut the thin edge of the trim to the wall.
8-Remove the plastic and crack the case of beer!
Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

what to paint first

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
1. prime walls.
2. paint ceilling
3. paint trim
4. paint walls

i caulk my trim and putty the nails hoes and "slop" the trim paint on then i cut a nice line with the wall paint.
yep but i dont know about slop the trim paint on . ill paint the trim and lightly feather the paint on the walls as not to leve a ridge of paint on the walls. but i know thats probly your slang ,like when i say mop in the ceiling..i know its a diy site ,but it makes me laugh when some one puts10 ,20 ,30 ,thousand into a kitchen and they wont spring for a pro to paint
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
princelake (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

what to paint first

yup thats exactly what i mean. got to be careful so nobody takes me literally with some of my slang.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
ltd (11-12-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #12

what to paint first

thanks for all the replies. too bad everyone is providing a different order. yes, i know i SERIOUSLY screwed up not painting first. 7' cabs with 8' ceilings + crown... its gonna be a whole lotta fun trying to paint now....

sorry, forgot to explain ceiling is completely finished and top-coated. at least that was done before cabs.

so... pros/cons of walls before trim, or trim before walls? any more input?

basically what i'm gathering is, that if i do the walls first i'll have to use tape when i do the trim. if i trim first, i can cut in the walls without tape, just steady-hand it. i agree with some of you, it seems like cutting in trim after walls are painted would be tough, especially without tape. gonna frogtape the hell outta the cab edges. i've always pulled tape after each coat, before it dries, causing multiple re-tapes. lotta work, but scared to pull off finished paint edge if i wait till its dry or multiple coats on same tape edge. could leave same tape throughout all coats, and maybe lightly score edge before removal, to avoid peeling the coat (?)

Last edited by firstimereno; 11-13-2012 at 01:49 AM.
firstimereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

what to paint first

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimereno View Post
thanks for all the replies. too bad everyone is providing a different order. yes, i know i SERIOUSLY screwed up not painting first. 7' cabs with 8' ceilings + crown... its gonna be a whole lotta fun trying to paint now....

sorry, forgot to explain ceiling is completely finished and top-coated. at least that was done before cabs.

basically what i'm gathering is, that if i do the walls first i'll have to use tape when i do the trim. if i trim first, i can cut in the walls without tape, just steady-hand it. i agree with some of you, it seems like cutting in trim after walls are painted would be tough, especially without tape. gonna frogtape the hell outta the cab edges. i've always pulled tape after each coat, before it dries, causing multiple re-tapes. lotta work, but scared to pull off finished paint edge if i wait till its dry or multiple coats on same tape edge. could leave same tape throughout all coats, and maybe lightly score edge before removal, to avoid peeling the coat (?)

yes
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Painting Contractor CT

Rewards Points: 77
what to paint first

Agree with Pricelake on this one
  1. Prime walls/ceiling
  2. Paint Ceiling
  3. Paint trim
  4. Paint walls

You can cover area with plastic to avoid cleaning any drips.
Good Luck!

http://www.kdpaintingct.com
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
fdf

Rewards Points: 75

what to paint first

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimereno View Post

As I mentioned, don't stick the tape edge that is away from the part you are painting on hard, just lose, and it won't take any paint off the surface...the edge of the tape that will get the paint on it needs to be pressed down hard so there is no leaks under the tape...you have to wait til the paint dries, though.

Advertisement

fdf is offline   Reply With Quote