What To Paint On Double-hung Sash? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

What to paint on double-hung sash?

If one is perverse enough not to use replacement vinyl windows, what do you leave unpainted on wooden sash, once you've stripped them to the bare wood? "Wood against wood" is what I've always heard, but I find the painter in 1898 painted the top of the upper sash, which certainly goes against the frame. In the other house (1890) the rebates for the glass were unpainted and unprimed, whereas I've always painted them three coats. The people who are in the sash-making business in Indianapolis will prime the whole surface if you don't stop them. Maybe latex paint doesn't get sticky in hot weather.
Is there a good way to keep the bottom of the lower sash from rotting? I'm having to throw out every other one because they're too far gone to fix with wood filler.

Advertisement

Ed Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,436

Paint with a good primer and paint after getting the wood cleaned of any old paint & dirt. You really do not need three coats of paint, if you do it correct the first time.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #3

Double-hung windows are usually painted in two stages. The interior surfaces are painted with interior-quality paint; the exterior surfaces, with exterior-quality paint.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-05-2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Removed Link
Thomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris
If one is perverse enough not to use replacement vinyl windows, what do you leave unpainted on wooden sash, once you've stripped them to the bare wood? "Wood against wood" is what I've always heard, but I find the painter in 1898 painted the top of the upper sash, which certainly goes against the frame. In the other house (1890) the rebates for the glass were unpainted and unprimed, whereas I've always painted them three coats. The people who are in the sash-making business in Indianapolis will prime the whole surface if you don't stop them. Maybe latex paint doesn't get sticky in hot weather.
Is there a good way to keep the bottom of the lower sash from rotting? I'm having to throw out every other one because they're too far gone to fix with wood filler.

I think your right about not painting wood on wood for the most part. The edges of the sash, and the tracks are often left unpainted.

One way you could go about it is to take a cue from modern windows. Look at the painting specifications for Anderson double hung wood windows, that could give you an idea of what not to paint. On some models, it voids the warranty to paint the edges of the sash, etc..

The areas left unpainted are treated with a clear paintable waterproofer to prevent rot and decay.

Here's one waterproofer that might work, though I haven't personally used it.

http://www.ktc.uky.edu/kytc/kypel/do...?fileIndex=573
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #5

Smile

It's kind of funny that the unpainted sides and tracks on these old sash are in great shape and the painted parts are rotten. As I mentioned, what really gets bad is the bottom edge of the lower sash. Maybe making channels in the stool (if that's what the bottom of the frame is called) would help it drain.
Although the Victorians did have spar varnish, the contemporary practice was to wax the running surfaces.
I'm tempted to make the replacements out of red cedar and not paint them at all. We used to use unpainted redwood in the hippie days out in California, but for casements.
Ed Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote