Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What makes up a quality hvlp sprayer

Have used the cheap harbor freight guns. It sprayed ok for $15, but thought if I bought a better gun I would get better results. So I bought a $80 porter cable sprayer thinking I would get better results. To tell you the truth I saw no difference in the guns. I want a smoother finish. It does not seem to atomize properly no matter how I have it adjusted. In fact I usually have to use about 80lb of air just to get he paint to come out thick enough. The guns are clean, and I have thinned the oilbased primer. I see some really expensive guns on the Internet and was wondering what makes these guns any better than the ones I have. they all look the same as the ones I already have. Do they just have better finely tuned mechanics inside the gun?

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Nice tips on the ends to start. Not plastic ones. Consistent and constant air pressure not availed at $80 would top my list also.

I paid people to spray for me.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
handpaintedbysteve.com

The gun is only one part of the equation. The compressor or turbine is equally important. And finally the viscosity and type of material you’re using should be slightly thinner than that sent through a conventional system, and we’re not even talking airless. The HVLP I use is a $900 unit and there’s a good reason why it costs that much compared to a $150 system. If you want performance, changing guns is not the total answer. A good system is an investment not a week-end toy. If you want to make money with it, invest in a good system, otherwise expect something less than you would like. IMO
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Spraygunn makes a good point. I've found that with all tools, you get what you pay for. I've bought a tool or two from China Freight for things I do on rare occasions. I don't expect them to last very long, but am pleasantly surprised on occasion and have been disappointed when they don't make it through the task at hand. They tools I use daily to make a living are definitely professional grade....
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Better HVLP units have an assortment of aircaps and projection sets (needles) which can be used for a variety of materials. As stated, you get what you pay for, but it depends how often you use the unit, and for what purpose.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote