What Make Better Paint "better"? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What make better paint "better"?

I'm a novice when it comes to painting, so this is just trying to learn a little more. When I lived in an apartment any of the painting I did I used any of the paints I could get at Home Depot..aka Behr, mainly because I didn't care. Now I'm in my own home and because of all the advise and reading from this site I've stepped up to a better paint, for my bathroom and hallway I've used Benjamin Moore.
I don't have enough experience to see a clear difference in the quality of the paints, other than it seems like I have to go over an area less to cover it, but I thought that might be from using a good roller instead of a throw away.
So my question to all the pro's and people who paint alot is what difference do you see between the cheap paint and the better brands that makes you swear by them?

Advertisement

ERIK2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
Home Improvement Guy

Rewards Points: 250

I'm not a pro, but I like to use the motor oil analogy. You can buy the cheap generic stuff or you can buy the best synthetic oil. It's all about special additives, quality ingredients, and not being watered down. You really do get what you pay for. A cheap paint will do the job but won't cover as well or look as good. It's the same thing with paint brushes.

Advertisement

ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:05 PM   #3

I guessed that's what I figured. The people who owned the house before me used cheaper paints inside and while they do look O.K. after painting other parts of the house the cheap paint almost looks chaulky to me.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Pro Painter

There are many things that determine the quality of the paint, but you can rest assured that manufacturers top lines get the benefit of all their latest technologies. Long time mfg's like Sherwin Williams (over 140 years) and Ben Moore are continually testing and improving their paint lines to give better adhesion, better coverage, better workability, better resistance to abrasion (burnish resistance including high impact resistance from traffic, dropped tools, etc), better fade resistance, and a ton of other things.

We tend to use things that we know will work like we expect and last a long time. We also use things that are easy to brush, roll, spray...we always want something that covers good, doesn't sag, run, drip, pull back, etc.

Final appearance is a big one...it's what makes us the money. We want the better products that are designed to lay out smoothly, give even sheen, easy touch-up etc. You won't find hardly any of these properties in big box store paints. You find products that are targeted at consumers who probably won't even try other paints to begin to understand the differences...and it's a myth that it's cheaper. Box store paints like Behr fetch a premium like some paints we use, and are half the quality.

We also have the benefit of seeing how our paints perform over time when servicing previous customers. The myriad of paints and different jobs we do gives us a good perspective on what holds up the longest and continues to look the best.
AAPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Many DIYers have different criteria, and there is paint designed and marketed to them
Things like cost, the wet paint in the can looking like the chip and drying fast
Making the paint perform that way, it doesn't make the paint perform or look better, but it address' novice DIY consumer one project concerns

It's true maintaining a wet edge, smooth lay out, even sheen, and easy touch-up rarely enter a one-time, or even part time DIYers criteria
Never mind the other things AA mentioned: better adhesion, better coverage, better workability, better resistance to abrasion, and better fade resistance
But yes, those things make a better paint
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 526

Paint is this simple. Zineers primers. Zineers perma white in bathrooms(because its stops mold and mildew) and finally Benjamin moore or Sherwin williams paint everywhere else.

ps when i bought the perma white for my bathrooms it can't be tinted dark colors it like light or medium colors.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #7

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
I know paint is a "get what you pay for" item but sometimes for someone that has only painted five or six room in their life it's harder to justify paying the higher price for the good stuff. But I guess that's why the cheap guys are still around.
I'll just keep the same mentality I do with tools, buy what will last and not worry about having to buy it twice.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I am far from being an expert in the matter but I have a lot of experience with traditional fine art paints in particular. The main difference between "good" and "bad" paints in that realm is the amount of pigment to medium, or binder. With oil paints you've got linseed oil, and then pigments are added. Acrylics are essentially the same but the pigment is basically plastic particles suspended in a different binder; an acrylic polymer emulsion.

Most interior home paints are water-based like fine art acrylics. So the bottom line is that if you're looking for color-fastness, true-to-sample color, and an even finish, then you have to go with the more expensive paints. The reason why they're more expensive is primarily because there is a higher percentage of pigment. The rest of the posts mention good quality manufacturers and I would agree that they're top draw.

One final thing thought: You can get cheaper paint for rooms that don't get much sunlight or traffic. For spaces that you use everyday then you'll want to invest in a quality paint. Cheers!

Advertisement

leftoverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote