Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What to look for in a clear satin coat product

I am doing some painting, and my paint is matte. I wanted to make certain spots (front door, shutters, etc) have a satin finish, so I got a spraypaint can of 'spar urethane'. Upon reading it, it seems that it's meant more for pure wood, not as an overcoat on paint.

Any recommendations, or things to look for when I go to get more/different products? I'd prefer spray paint cans, I just think I'll end up with a more uniform approach, although I do realize they cost a bit more.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, as always!

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #2

(Oh, I should note that this is exterior use, and if I didn't say it before, the color I'm gonna be satin coating will be a maroonish-red color. The surfaces that this paint will be on vary - stucco, wood, aluminum - but I doubt that matters much, if at all.)

Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

There is no good "shiny overcoat" that will work well and look good on specific parts of exterior trim previously painted flat to make them shiny

The way to do that is to use a glossier paint
The labor is the same, whether it's a gloss paint or shiny clearcoat
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #4

okay, so I've already got my premixed, matte red paint. You're saying I'm basically sol?
(you said 'previously painted', just wanted to say that this is all freshly painted stuff still sitting in the garage, just in case that mattered).

I guess I could do my final coats with my matte red, but add in a satin product to the paint before applying it? Really don't wanna do anything like that, but really don't want a matte red front door! God I wish the people at home depot/lowes would be able to explain these things to me!!! I get home with my matte red / spray on satin, which they totally understood how I'd be using it. Never mentioned anything to me!!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
I guess I could do my final coats with my matte red, but add in a satin product to the paint before applying it? Really don't wanna do anything like that, but really don't want a matte red front door!
Ummm....no...sorry
You can't add "sheen" to paint
It doesn't work that way
The solution is to paint the item with a glossier sheened paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
God I wish the people at home depot/lowes would be able to explain these things to me!!! I get home with my matte red / spray on satin, which they totally understood how I'd be using it. Never mentioned anything to me!!
Yes, they are mostly idiots who were selling grills or newspapers or cell phones last week
Any advice they usually give is anywhere from bad to horribly wrong to dangerous
Don't ever ask for advice from them
Ever
They really have no idea
I'm not kidding, making stuff up, or exaggerating in the slightest
Also-don't shop for paint materials at Lowes/HD
The materials are horrid

So yeah, L/HD are the absolute worst places for painting advice materials and tools I can think of
I'm not exaggerating in the least
At least at the Job Lots they don't attempt to give advice, and you expect the materials and tools to be crap

You will always get better materials, tools and advice from an actual paint store
It will always make your project go faster, smoother, and look better when finished
Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Paint/Faux Artisan

Ditto on getting advice from the clerks at HD/Lowes. One time I asked a guy a question about a product and he proceeded to read the box- as if I didn't have the ability to read the instructions myself.

Regarding coating paint: I actually have coated flat and matte paint with clear urethanes (Acrylics)- do it all the time with faux finishes on furniture, but I haven't done it on something for the outside. I use acrylic urethanes because they stay clear- spar varnishes/urethanes go amber and change the color slightly underneath.

Bay Area Painting Company
Da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #7

See if the paint you are using is available in Gloss or at least Semi-gloss as well. If so get a quart of the higher sheen and mix it thoroughly with the Matte finish you already have. This will bump the sheen up a bit. Just make sure it is the exact same kind of paint you already have.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Ummm....no...sorry
You can't add "sheen" to paint
It doesn't work that way
The solution is to paint the item with a glossier sheened paint
confused...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
See if the paint you are using is available in Gloss or at least Semi-gloss as well. If so get a quart of the higher sheen and mix it thoroughly with the Matte finish you already have. This will bump the sheen up a bit. Just make sure it is the exact same kind of paint you already have.
because of this
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #10

sooo, can I mix in or not?

(sorry those were two separate posts, for some reason I cannot highlight/cut text from a 'post reply' box like you can on all other vbulletin software I've used, weird..)

Out of curiousity, slickshift why can't I find a product that will work as an overcoat? Will it just not adhere to the paint? Will it yellow over time? Just wondering.

Last edited by joeyboy; 08-09-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Tired, Cold, and Damp

poppameth and I disagree
Well, slightly...not really...actually we are both right

poppa is correct, you can add high gloss to a flat, and it can become slightly glossier

I don't suggest it, as is will never, ever, be as glossy as gloss
It's not "making a flat a gloss" or even a semi gloss
You could do it, it could help...or "bump up" the sheen to be slightly shinier
(like maybe an eggshell finish)

So poppa is correct, it is possible to make flats slightly shinier
My statement that there is no way to do it refers to making a flat a gloss
That is also correct

IMO it would be a crap shoot to try and get a satin out of your flat
You'd most likely end up buying enough gloss (to mix in there) to paint the door with gloss
Might as well buy a quart of the sheen you want
Old 08-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Out of curiousity, slickshift why can't I find a product that will work as an overcoat? Will it just not adhere to the paint? Will it yellow over time? Just wondering.
It's not like you are staining for color, then using poly for a flat/satin/gloss clear protection layer
Paints don't work that way...nor do they need to
They are very protective and colorful, and come in the sheen you want
It's not that there aren't ways to do it
It's that there are not good ways, that last, that don't yellow, that play nice with latex paint....
Lifting, cracking, yellowing, orange peel...they are all possibilities

So #1) There's no need
#2) There's no good way to do so..especially for exterior trim

*please note that as Da Vinci says, faux finishers and furniture finishers do have better ways and better skills and can technically do something similar to what you are suggesting
I still would not recommend most of these for a DIYer, as they require special skills, tools, and materials
Old 08-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
*please note that as Da Vinci says, faux finishers and furniture finishers do have better ways and better skills and can technically do something similar to what you are suggesting
.......and seem to be done exclusively indoors though, and this is all exterior (and in FL sun!)

Maybe my idea of 'satin' is much less shiny than satin really is. I think I'm gonna try a spray, just to see if I can make it 'less matte' lol. I would get more made up for a finish coat, but do I think I have a good chance at getting a proper color match at lowes? My guess is I'll buy the satin, same color, get home, and then realize I need to do like 2 or 3 more coats with this, making the first 3 coats a waste. AHHHHH why can't they know a lil more about what they're talking about? I shouldn't have listened to her, I knew she was clueless. Every once in a while you'll be able to tell when someone has a clue at these places, but I'm so sick of being told one thing, buying it / doing it, then finding out it was wrong. Well, I guess this is just the process of learning home repairs, at least (presumably) I won't be making the same mistakes twice.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #14

The only way I'd consider adding a gloss to the matte is if
1) you have a large area to do and don't just need a small quantity of the higher gloss for trim. If you need a small quantity just buy it in the correct gloss.
2) If you don't mind an eggshell or satin on the trim. As was already stated, you'll never get a Semi-gloss or full gloss out of it this way. Satin is the most you can expect and then you are probably going to be adding equal parts matte and gloss to get it.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #15

okay, so to be sure I'm understanding you, is this okay:
- paint my 2 or 3 coats with the matte (already in progress)
- mix a 50/50 red matte/red gloss, mix thoroughly, and it should be about a satin?
- use that as my final coat

The third point is where I think I may be wrong - if I'm mixing up a new paint, won't I need to be doing several new coats?