Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #1

Share |

What kind of paint to use on a continuous metal roof?

I have a rental house with a 50 year metal roof on it. Unfortunately, the paint hasn't lasted that long.

What kind of paint do I use for metal roofs, and where do I buy it? Both Lowes and Home Depot told me they don't carry roof paint, and don't recommend using standard exterior paint because of the abuse that roofs take (blazing heat and rain/snow). Neither of the paint guys had a clue on what type of paint I need to use or where to get it.

Lastly, re metal roof paints self-priming, or do I need to use some sort of primer/surface preparation first?

Thanks for any advice!

TitaniumVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

http://www.calbarinc.com/cat_product_list10.html

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Elastomeric and DTM are probably going to be the best bet for longevity. Most paint stores will carry a decent DTM. You most likely have oil on there now though and it will be best to completely remove it first. A good DTM (there are those that really aren't that good at this) will bond to the old oil without an issue, but they tend to cause the old oil to pop loose from the roof due to differences in expansion/contraction ratio between the oil and acrylic.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

There are a few products you can use depending on the condition of the roof and what you want to do, if you want to change the color or just coat it. Some products are aluminium roof coating, SW ProCryl, SW DTM, Kool Seal. Depending on which product you choose will depened on the prep. http://www.kelloggspainting.com/RoofCoatings.html
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
NAV

you can use paint if all you are looking to do is make the roof a uniform color and sheen.

if you want a fluid applied roofing system i would recommend Sherwin-Williams Uniflex or another product is Neogard. I think you have to be certified to purchase the materials and the come with a 10 year warranty against leaks.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #6

Wow, you guys are awesome! I've only been a member of DIY Chatroom for a couple of weeks, but think this is an outstanding forum. Thanks for all of the quick and helpful advice. You've given me enough pointers to figure this out. Much appreciated!
TitaniumVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Head to your local Paint Store and ask about what DTM (Direct To Metal) paints they offer
They will also have the proper prep info for the specific products they carry, just ask them

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote