Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of paint do I need? Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I just built a custom cabinet from birch plywood for my LPs and I want to give it a white, glossy finish without the polyurethane depth you see on most restaurant bar counters. What I have in mind is a finish like that of a Star Wars Stormtrooper, where the white is glossy but doesn't have depth or noticeable layers of clear. Also, much of the contemporary furniture has this type of finish where is almost looks like a molded, plastic. The big-box stores had no clue and I figured I would join this forum instead of driving to paint stores and wasting gas. LOL. Thanks in advance!!

ToneyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,052

I would prime it with oil and then use a sem-gloss white in either the newer alkyd/latex hybrids or just oil. The poly you see on bar's is think, really thick, for durability and easy cleaning.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTech View Post
Hi,
I just built a custom cabinet from birch plywood for my LPs and I want to give it a white, glossy finish without the polyurethane depth you see on most restaurant bar counters. What I have in mind is a finish like that of a Star Wars Stormtrooper, where the white is glossy but doesn't have depth or noticeable layers of clear. Also, much of the contemporary furniture has this type of finish where is almost looks like a molded, plastic. The big-box stores had no clue and I figured I would join this forum instead of driving to paint stores and wasting gas. LOL. Thanks in advance!!
Bin shellac primer for a fast dry, so it doesn't warp the plywood. When it is dry in two hours, use a good quality 100% acrylic enamel, like Pratt and Lambert's Accolade semi gloss white.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #4

When you say acrylic latex, I can't help but think of all the "rubbery" latex paint in my home that easily peels off and never cures. Is this the same kind of latex paint or is this something a little harder that cures better?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
When you say acrylic latex, I can't help but think of all the "rubbery" latex paint in my home that easily peels off and never cures. Is this the same kind of latex paint or is this something a little harder that cures better?

Thanks.
I think you are responding to the other guy, but I will jump in for a sec. Yes, a cheap acrylic latex can be rubbery, and easily peel off. But what I am recommending is a 100% acrylic latex ENAMEL. A high quality one. P&L's Accolade semi gloss is just that and dries rock hard, perfect for any trim, cabinets, doors, what have you. Trust me on this, it will be the best paint you'll ever use!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #6

Hammerheart14, does the P&L Accolade latex enamel do well with spraying? If so, how would I go about thinning, etc... or would I even need to?

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

done it before. automotive paint, a layer of primer builder, then sealer, base coat, clear coat done. it's extremely durable and will outlive ANY home paint you can find. this has to be sprayed on

if you go another route spraying is still the way to get a glassy finish, either that or a lot of time with a foam brush
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Hammerheart14, does the P&L Accolade latex enamel do well with spraying? If so, how would I go about thinning, etc... or would I even need to?

Thanks again.
you do not need to thin accolade to spray, it is not a thick paint.