Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of paint can I spray?

Howdy,

I am a rattle can pro, any color any object anywhere, mostly timber. Unfortunately the finish is simply not good enough for me anymore. So I have just gotten my hands on an air compressor (12gal 150psi), and will soon be getting a spray gun, in the hopes of that perfectly smooth finish. I can find a lot of info on how to spray, but almost none on what to spray.

What can I spray? color, latex, oil, poly, lacquer, stain. I know they need to be thinned , but with what and how much. And where can I purchase cans of these from, Home Depot?? premixed only in the paint section?

I would appreciate any advice on how to get started spraying.

Thanks!!

Strife_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife_Design View Post
Howdy,

I am a rattle can pro, any color any object anywhere, mostly timber. Unfortunately the finish is simply not good enough for me anymore. So I have just gotten my hands on an air compressor (12gal 150psi), and will soon be getting a spray gun, in the hopes of that perfectly smooth finish. I can find a lot of info on how to spray, but almost none on what to spray.

What can I spray? color, latex, oil, poly, lacquer, stain. I know they need to be thinned , but with what and how much. And where can I purchase cans of these from, Home Depot?? premixed only in the paint section?

I would appreciate any advice on how to get started spraying.

Thanks!!
All your questions depend on the type of sprayer you get, airless, hvlp, Wagner buzz sprayer.
What can I spray? Everything mentioned, thinned with what depends on oil or latex. Where can I get them? Almost anywhere that sells paint. And I don't understand pre-mixed. If you mean paint yes they will mix your color in the paint dept. or paint store.
As for advice on what type sprayer will depend on what you are using it on.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,328

Most of the coatings you mention don't get thinned. When asking what to thin with, it's always the solvent for the coating. For water based latex paints, it's water. For oil based paints, it's mineral spirits or paint thinner (whatever is used for "cleanup" listed on the label). For shellac (including BIN primer), it's denatured alcohol.

Any paint sprayer can deal with thin coatings such as stain or polyurethane. Only certain types of sprayers can deal with latex unthinned, especially today's thick latexes. However, I personally wouldn't bother spraying latex if I had to thin it. I'd get the proper type of sprayer, or I'd not spray.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote