Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |
What is good Primer for Exterior Painting

Hi, I am about to start exterior painting project for my house located in Tampa, Florida. First story are blocks and second wood, both stucco coating. I supply paint and chosen SW Emerald paint already but not primer yet. My contractor told me that they normally use SW Lox clear Primer but I 've heard that white color Zinsser 1-2-3 is one of the best.. My friend on the contrary recommended KILZ primer. The job starts this Monday and I need urgently make decision .. I don't have experience and don't have time to experiment with primers .. would greatly appreciate good advise.. like real coverage per sq. f, difference white vs clear etc., any changes in paint color when different colors primers used THANKS

Valerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian View Post
Hi, I am about to start exterior painting project for my house located in Tampa, Florida. First story are blocks and second wood, both stucco coating. I supply paint and chosen SW Emerald paint already but not primer yet. My contractor told me that they normally use SW Lox clear Primer but I 've heard that white color Zinsser 1-2-3 is one of the best.. My friend on the contrary recommended KILZ primer. The job starts this Monday and I need urgently make decision .. I don't have experience and don't have time to experiment with primers .. would greatly appreciate good advise.. like real coverage per sq. f, difference white vs clear etc., any changes in paint color when different colors primers used THANKS

Does it actually need priming?

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/sher...ory2/index.jsp

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

First of all thanks Chrisn for adding link that is very informative. As per Emerald (my choice of paint) it doesn't require primer according to the specs, though all contractors I spoke during interview for the job bidding said that they will apply primer. The price is the same regardless, so why not to prime ? Personally I found in my test with white primer that it makes visible if paint coat wasn't not applied evenly .. Also, I read on this forum that it's always good idea to apply primer It cost just about 100 $ for my house and I believe will provide extra layer of protection.. When Emerald is advertised as Primer and Paint in one, I think it's might be more commercial trick than reality.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

You don't need any primer on previously painted surfaces unless there are bare spots after scraping and then you can "spot prime" those areas. You are getting one hell of a deal if the price is the same with or without primer. I can't imagine a legitimate painting contractor basically eating the cost of doing an extra coat by including the primer coat in his pricing. Seems suspicious to me.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #5

In general, clean exterior substrates in good condition don't require a primer before being coated with a quality paint like Emerald.

But one factor that can influence this is oxidation. Painted surfaces, and in particular painted stucco, often oxidate in the sun after a number of years. Especially flat paint, but enamels are susceptible to it too over longer periods of time.

The FL sun is brutal. Seems like there was a thread not too long ago about a peeling paint job we thought was caused by painting chalky surfaces.

The Loxon clear is designed to 'lock down' oxidized paint (chalk) and provide a good surface for topcoat adhesion. Other wise, paint can bond to the oxidation instead of the substrate and peel in big sheets like we have seen posted here before.

Bty, 123 is a great primer but it is not designed to adhere to chalk.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu
You don't need any primer on previously painted surfaces unless there are bare spots after scraping and then you can "spot prime" those areas. You are getting one hell of a deal if the price is the same with or without primer. I can't imagine a legitimate painting contractor basically eating the cost of doing an extra coat by including the primer coat in his pricing. Seems suspicious to me.

If the HO is providing the material, and the contractor providing a labor quote for specified number of coats, it would be feasible
for there to be little, if any, labor cost change caused by substitution of the primer. (Although changing specced products certainly can change labor cost in certain situations)

My personal thought would be use the Loxon conditioner, I don't see an advantage to 123 in this instance, ( provided there is no extensive peeling or water damage)
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I saw four contractors for estimation. All of them do primer regardless paint. Looks to me it's is standard in Florida.
The Following User Says Thank You to Valerian For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
In general, clean exterior substrates in good condition don't require a primer before being coated with a quality paint like Emerald.

But one factor that can influence this is oxidation. Painted surfaces, and in particular painted stucco, often oxidate in the sun after a number of years. Especially flat paint, but enamels are susceptible to it too over longer periods of time.

The FL sun is brutal. Seems like there was a thread not too long ago about a peeling paint job we thought was caused by painting chalky surfaces.

The Loxon clear is designed to 'lock down' oxidized paint (chalk) and provide a good surface for topcoat adhesion. Other wise, paint can bond to the oxidation instead of the substrate and peel in big sheets like we have seen posted here before.

Bty, 123 is a great primer but it is not designed to adhere to chalk.
Probably I'll go with Loxon. Thanks
Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
If the HO is providing the material, and the contractor providing a labor quote for specified number of coats, it would be feasible
for there to be little, if any, labor cost change caused by substitution of the primer. (Although changing specced products certainly can change labor cost in certain situations)

My personal thought would be use the Loxon conditioner, I don't see an advantage to 123 in this instance, ( provided there is no extensive peeling or water damage)
Thanks. I'll go with Loxon then, It was recommended by my contractor anyway.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I agree. I can't imagine a legitimate contractor priming a whole house for free basically.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

I agree with the Loxon. Down here a lot of times the primer is included in the bid.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote