What Is A Good Paint Brush For Oil Based - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is a good paint brush for oil based

I am painting some cabinets and need to know what kind of brush and size is good for cabinets. Painting with oil based and want to have a smooth finish without brush strokes or at least a minimum. Any suggestions?
It appears a natural bristle is prefereed? What do you think?

Advertisement

cougarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarguy View Post
I am painting some cabinets and need to know what kind of brush and size is good for cabinets. Painting with oil based and want to have a smooth finish without brush strokes or at least a minimum. Any suggestions?
These are sweet for oil. I'm thinking the 2 1/2 ox o angular would work pretty well. If you think the price is to high white china bristles are also pretty decent. Avoid the black bristle oil brushes, to stiff.

Kevin

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Purdy_O...air_p/2960.htm

Advertisement

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Quote:
You will want a brush with white chiana bristles. I have tried many brands of brushes and there are a lot of good companys, but myself and my guys use and prfer Purdy brushes. Go to a quality paint store ie. Sherwin Williams and take a look at there purdy selection. Make sure you get one that has china bristles, the size will be up to you. What I might use and am use to using might not be the same size someone else is comfortable with ie. I generally use a 2.5 inch flat brush for most things, but someone else may be more comfortable with a smaller size or a sash brush, it will also depened on exactly what your going to be painting too.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree with the white china bristle and Purdy brand. If you take care of it, you will have it for quite awhile so if you can afford it, spend the money.

I use 2.5 or 3" angled sash brushes more than anything. I like having the angle to work with if needed and a flat brush doesn't offer the same control in some situations---for me anyhow. As mentioned, it is a matter of what a person is comfortable with.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for suggestions. The white china brush works fine. however, I bought sponge rollers and they are incredible. I got a smooth finish and very easy to use. They are cheap, so I just discard after use. If you haven;t tried them on cabinets they are great. It is almost like a sprayed finish. there are no brush strokes.
cougarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

I find the Purdy white china brushes easy to clean and softer than the black china. As mentioned they will last a long time if you take care of them. I have some that have some age to them, yet they look almost new.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Thanks for suggestions. The white china brush works fine. however, I bought sponge rollers and they are incredible. I got a smooth finish and very easy to use. They are cheap, so I just discard after use. If you haven;t tried them on cabinets they are great. It is almost like a sprayed finish. there are no brush strokes.
We do occasionally use sponge rollers, but only in certain staining applications and they do work pretty well.

Advertisement