Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Share |

What Finish to put on Exterior Redwood?

I have some old Redwood Siding, T+G that came off of my house last year. A few pieces are still in good shape, and I am reusing them to make a small garden fence (for aesthetic purposes only). I want to add a finish to the siding to bring out the natural color and grains of the wood and waterproof it. I like the "shiny" look so would I use an exterior polyurethane? I heard bad things about Thompson's water seal - let me know what you suggest!

thanks

biggdaddy3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Hi - I am new to the site and I thought I posted this but maybe I did it wrong? Anyway:

I just had some residing done to my house and I have left over redwood siding which was taken off of the side of my house. Some of the pieces are in pretty good shape, so I am making a small garden fence (for aesthetics only). I want to seal the wood with something that will bring out the natural color and grains of the wood. I like the "shiny" look so maybe a polyurethane? Obviously looking to seal it against the elements (rain sun, etc). Let me know what you recommend...

biggdaddy3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #3

Never poly unless you really like have to sand it all off every few years and redo it.
A clear wood preserver will help it last longer and it will still look like natural wood.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

DO NOT use any kind of polyurethane on your project. It will not hold up to the UV and the elements. If it's basically uncoated at this time, consider a clear or tinted sealer like Flood Co.'s CWF-UV. It is a water based sealer that penetrates into the wood like an oil stain. You can buy this product in Clear, Redwood, or Cedar. You could even use a solid color stain in a redwood color that would work so much better than Thompsons........do not use Thompsons.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #5

I merged your posts. Please, only one post with exact same question, thank you, Gary
Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Thompson's Water Seal is a liquid wax based product. You would be lucky to get a season out of it and it will leave wax remnants to which nothing will want to stick. Some on this site have seen it grow mold as well.

Your product choice will depend on what you really have and when you get it washed and sanded. A sealer will discolor everything uniformly but leave the wood color for the most part. A semi-transparent stain will come in colors and will blend or even out the existing color while still penetrating the wood. Once you move to semi-solid or solid stains you start leaving more pigment on the surface.

Much as you say you like high gloss finishes you should not expect one to last long on something like a garden fence. If you must try, I would use an epoxy rather than a urethane but remember with either you will be keeping the wood from breathing and doing its thing.

Last edited by user1007; 08-02-2012 at 06:05 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
Paint Pro

use rymar refresh, or sikkens cetol log/siding maint coat. clear shiny extetior penerating film builders that last. ext poly/ spar urethanes will flake/fail sooner than later and also yellow.

Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote