Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #1

Share |

What does "Washable" mean?

Hello, my husband and I recently had the interior of our house professionally painted. I had asked the painter for an eggshell finish because I do wash our walls, and he assured me that the Sico cashmere finish was washable. After waiting the 30 day curing period, we checked the instructions on the can and washed a small spot on our wall with a solution of tsp. as was recommended. To our horror a "burnish" mark remained. We contacted the dealer who told us that using tsp was too harsh and to use a mild solution of dish detergent. We did this the next time we had to wipe a spot and again the burnish mark was left. We contacted the Sico company who sent out a representitive. He told us that any flat paint was not washable and this should not have been on the can. Though he gave us a credit with our dealer for 4 gallons of paint, we feel that we will have to repaint the walls in an eggshell finish and needless to say, aren't too happy about the expense of a painter. Should we pursue this matter further since we feel that "washable" was misleading or should we just accept the 4 gallons of paint and learn from this? Thank you. Diane V.
Diane Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #2

If you are doing regular washing of your walls you would probably want to be at least Eggshell or Higher in sheen. What exactly are you cleaning after a fresh paint job? Were there new stains?

Definitely don't use TSP. That really is only a prep step before painting. Not a regular cleaning solution.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #3

Hi, thank you for your help. The wall in question is going up the stairway and I was wiping off a few fingerprints. I do understand that flat paint is not washable, but I think we are questioning the company's referring to this product as washable. They were the one's that recommended using TSP and our dealer told us only to use a mild dish soap solution. (which still left a burnish mark) I think I am just very disappointed that we and our painter were mislead.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #4

Well, I would think its up to you. You could keep going with SICO if you like. I took a look and they definitely make the claim that it is washable. Not only do they make the claim from a "marketing speak" position, they also put it on this Technical Data Sheet, which usually gives you a better indication of the Real properties of the paint.

http://www.sico.com/Fiches/EN/FT/TDS_71151X.pdf

They call out that it washes better than other Flats so its kind of unfair for them to come out and tell you that it doesn't do that.

Up to you, but I think you have a case, even though in the paint world they shouldn't be claiming this at all.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #5

Hi again, thank you so much for getting back to me. We are now doing our bedroom with the complimentary paint they gave us, only this time in the Chamois finish which we were told is comparable to eggshell and already we can see a slight sheen. I think I will think this over as we really don't want to get into a long battle over this. However, everytime I look at our new walls, I see the "burnish" mark and get upset. Thanks again for your input.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

The TSP is definitely too harsh
It should only be used before a repaint
(it's so harsh it acts as a de-glosser on shinier paints)

And frankly the dish detergent is also too harsh
It is only slightly less abrasive than TSP
I'm surprised the suggested that
Especially if this a dark color
I'd have to think the rep made that one up...or didn't think it through...

I'm not trying to second guess them or anything, but I'm really at a loss for why they would suggest these things

I'm not familiar with the product, but from what I know about paints, thier pigments, and coalescence...I'm just at a loss at these suggestions
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #7

Did the finger prints come off? If so then technically they didn't lie to you. They said it was washable and if the prints came off then it is washable. There was never any mention of whether it would burnish. Any regular flat paint will burnish. Even some eggshells burnish. The only flat or matte paints I've seen then truly don't burnish are ceramic finishes. Even these sometimes leave the occasional mark but not nearly as bad as regular paints.

You have to keep in mind that most paints use clay as their base. Clay is soft. When you scrub it the tips of the molecules will break off and cause it to appear shiney. Ceramics are harder bases and don't break as easily. Higher sheen paints have different resins in them that encapsulate the clay making it more durable as well.

Last edited by poppameth; 03-31-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #8

Hello Everyone, thank you so much for all the helpful responses. I have a lot to think about now. I don't really want to start painting again as we just finished our bedroom today and I'm quite sick of all the mess, but then again I'm having a hard time looking at the burnish marks going up the stairs and in the hall. I might just paint those areas in the Chamois or eggshell finish in the same colour. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me.