Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

What do I need to paint and repair walls and ceiling drywall?

Wall drywall has just minor cracks, however, ceiling drywall in one room has about 8" hole from old light fixture. Ceiling drywall is popcorn style, so the patched hole has to be popcorned then. What do you think, do I need anything else except what I listed below? Or perhaps I don't need something from there? I just want to avoid multiple visits of hardware store and don't waste money... If you have any recommendations regarding particular brand, that would be great...

To fix the walls: joint compound plus putty knife.

To fix the ceiling drywall: do I really need piece of drywall or just apply plastic mesh patch (and spackling compound) would work?

To paint the walls and ceiling: paint (1 gallon per 350 sqft), one cover of putty for walls (do I need it actually after joint compound?), primer (once coat before putty, one coat after that before paint), 9'' roller + extension pole + roller pad + roller cover(s), paint edger (how many?), paint stir sticks (how many?), painter's tape, putty knifes (how many and what size?)

Regarding the paint, I'm thinking of Benjamin Moore Regal Select. It contains primer as well, am I right? Also, would super white color work for popcorn ceilings? Any experience?

Any recommendations regarding roller covers? How many do I need for, say, 580 sqft of ceiling (same color) and 350 + 300 + 450 sqft walls (all three different colors). I read that 3/8'' nap would work almost everywhere. Do I need particular material for ceiling/walls? Say, sheepwool, mohair, etc? Does it really worth to spend money on them? Are all rollers actualy easy to clean and reusable?

mzaslavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Whole lot of questions and not one picture so we can see what your dealing with.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslavsky View Post
Wall drywall has just minor cracks, however, ceiling drywall in one room has about 8" hole from old light fixture. Ceiling drywall is popcorn style, so the patched hole has to be popcorned then. What do you think, do I need anything else except what I listed below? Or perhaps I don't need something from there? I just want to avoid multiple visits of hardware store and don't waste money... If you have any recommendations regarding particular brand, that would be great...

To fix the walls: joint compound plus putty knife.

To fix the ceiling drywall: do I really need piece of drywall or just apply plastic mesh patch (and spackling compound) would work?

To paint the walls and ceiling: paint (1 gallon per 350 sqft), one cover of putty for walls (do I need it actually after joint compound?), primer (once coat before putty, one coat after that before paint), 9'' roller + extension pole + roller pad + roller cover(s), paint edger (how many?), paint stir sticks (how many?), painter's tape, putty knifes (how many and what size?)

Regarding the paint, I'm thinking of Benjamin Moore Regal Select. It contains primer as well, am I right? Also, would super white color work for popcorn ceilings? Any experience?

Any recommendations regarding roller covers? How many do I need for, say, 580 sqft of ceiling (same color) and 350 + 300 + 450 sqft walls (all three different colors). I read that 3/8'' nap would work almost everywhere. Do I need particular material for ceiling/walls? Say, sheepwool, mohair, etc? Does it really worth to spend money on them? Are all rollers actualy easy to clean and reusable?

OK I'll start and try to keep it general since we don't know what your looking at
Let's start with the ceiling I would remove the rest of the popcorn then patch the ceiling. By the time you scrap around the repair and patch the hole you may need an air compressor, and a hopper with gun and proper size nozzle.
to retexture the popcorn. These items can be rented. Plastic mesh and spackle will not work. You need a piece of drywall and joint compound.
To fix the walls forget putty knife think at least 6" drywall knife.
No you don't need putty. Primer you only need 1 coat. Forget roller pads, and edger and get a good 2" angle brush (2" because it's a little easier to handle)
paint stir sticks how many 1 or 2. OK you ask about what size putty knifes I think you mean drywall knifes. From what it sounds like you are patching I would guess 2 a 6" and an 8" since you are not hanging.
No paint has enough primer in it to be effective this is an advertising gimmick, but since it says it there may be a small amount.
Is super white the color or do you mean a glossy finish. You want the ceiling paint to be flat. If not every little imperfection will stand out like a sore thumb. Your repair will look like a mountain.
OK rollers, no all rollers are not created equal, but yes a good quality roller cover can be cleaned many times. And a 1/2" nap will serve you better.
Now having said all that let me open up a whole can of worms. Has your ceiling been painted before If not with popcorn it will have to be sprayed either with a paint sprayer or with a product called Gardz. Check and we can get into that later. hope this gives you something to think about. Good luck
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Whole lot of questions and not one picture so we can see what your dealing with.
Sorry, there were too much stuff to say:-) I've tried to make a picture at one of our rooms (all others are the same, but without light lixture). Essentially, the light fixture will be removed - that's where we need a ceiling drywall to be fixed. The remaining ceiling is fine. Also, I tried to show the walls conditions. Hope all this can be of some help
Attached Thumbnails
What do I need to paint and repair walls and ceiling drywall?-dsc_2052.jpg   What do I need to paint and repair walls and ceiling drywall?-dsc_2053.jpg   What do I need to paint and repair walls and ceiling drywall?-dsc_2055.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Read this, it will solve at least half your problems.

http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/t...ACE_SEALER.pdf
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Roofmaster

It looks to me like somebody destroyed that wall taking wall paper off. Is this correct? It looks like a lot of adhesive is still on the wall.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
OK I'll start and try to keep it general since we don't know what your looking at
Let's start with the ceiling I would remove the rest of the popcorn then patch the ceiling. By the time you scrap around the repair and patch the hole you may need an air compressor, and a hopper with gun and proper size nozzle.
to retexture the popcorn. These items can be rented. Plastic mesh and spackle will not work. You need a piece of drywall and joint compound.
To fix the walls forget putty knife think at least 6" drywall knife.
No you don't need putty. Primer you only need 1 coat. Forget roller pads, and edger and get a good 2" angle brush (2" because it's a little easier to handle)
paint stir sticks how many 1 or 2. OK you ask about what size putty knifes I think you mean drywall knifes. From what it sounds like you are patching I would guess 2 a 6" and an 8" since you are not hanging.
No paint has enough primer in it to be effective this is an advertising gimmick, but since it says it there may be a small amount.
Is super white the color or do you mean a glossy finish. You want the ceiling paint to be flat. If not every little imperfection will stand out like a sore thumb. Your repair will look like a mountain.
OK rollers, no all rollers are not created equal, but yes a good quality roller cover can be cleaned many times. And a 1/2" nap will serve you better.
Now having said all that let me open up a whole can of worms. Has your ceiling been painted before If not with popcorn it will have to be sprayed either with a paint sprayer or with a product called Gardz. Check and we can get into that later. hope this gives you something to think about. Good luck
Thanks! I'm not sure I understood you regarding ceiling drywall... I definitely would like to remove all the popcorn. Or you meant just around the hole? Air compressor, hopper gun and nozzle are needed just to retexture the popcorn, am I right? Yes, by the way, it was painted already some time ago:-)
Super-white paint - I meant just color. Of course, the one with flat finish. Do you think it would work fine with popcorn?
Rollers... Do you have any suggestions regarding material? I read that segmented foam works well for popcorn ceiling, as well as mohair (more expensive, I guess). Lambwool and sheepwool should work for smooth drywall, right? But these are expensive choices. Do you think they worth it or there are cheaper (synthetic) and eqaully good alternatives?
Another small queston... In my photos you can clearly see the gap between wall drywall and ceiling drywall. What is the typical way to deal with it?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
It looks to me like somebody destroyed that wall taking wall paper off. Is this correct? It looks like a lot of adhesive is still on the wall.
Unfortunately, yes. That's what we've recently purchased and have to dealt with it...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Read this, it will solve at least half your problems.

http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/t...ACE_SEALER.pdf
Thanks! As I understand, it supposed to be used instead of joint compound to patch the cracks/holes in walls drywall only, right? After that just 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. Am I right? Or it is complimentary to joint compound?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks! I'm not sure I understood you regarding ceiling drywall... I definitely would like to remove all the popcorn. Or you meant just around the hole? Air compressor, hopper gun and nozzle are needed just to retexture the popcorn, am I right? Yes, by the way, it was painted already some time ago:-)
Super-white paint - I meant just color. Of course, the one with flat finish. Do you think it would work fine with popcorn?
Rollers... Do you have any suggestions regarding material? I read that segmented foam works well for popcorn ceiling, as well as mohair (more expensive, I guess). Lambwool and sheepwool should work for smooth drywall, right? But these are expensive choices. Do you think they worth it or there are cheaper (synthetic) and eqaully good alternatives?
Another small queston... In my photos you can clearly see the gap between wall drywall and ceiling drywall. What is the typical way to deal with it?
Sorry didn't mean to confuse If you are going to remove the popcorn and not retexture forget the compresser and hopper. Since it was painted it will make it harder to remove, but still doable. Or do you mean you are just going to patch and then just popcorn the patch? If this is thee case you will need the Gardz for your patch.
Maybe I'm not saying this right. You cannot run a roller over unpainted popcorn using a latex primer the popcorn will come off on your roller. That is why you seal it first with a oil based primer or Gardz.
For your rollers I have never had luck with foam. Once it has been sealed a good quality 1/2" nap roller will work fine. By quality look at purdy or wooster.
As for the gap use your 6" drywall knife and joint compound. Fill the gap then use the knife to pull it smooth.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks! As I understand, it supposed to be used instead of joint compound to patch the cracks/holes in walls drywall only, right? After that just 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. Am I right? Or it is complimentary to joint compound?
No this is a sealer and primer.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

You can buy an electric texture sprayer for around a hundred bucks.I have one that I use for repairs and it works great.
Attached Images

ToolSeeker (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Sorry didn't mean to confuse If you are going to remove the popcorn and not retexture forget the compresser and hopper. Since it was painted it will make it harder to remove, but still doable. Or do you mean you are just going to patch and then just popcorn the patch? If this is thee case you will need the Gardz for your patch.
Maybe I'm not saying this right. You cannot run a roller over unpainted popcorn using a latex primer the popcorn will come off on your roller. That is why you seal it first with a oil based primer or Gardz.
For your rollers I have never had luck with foam. Once it has been sealed a good quality 1/2" nap roller will work fine. By quality look at purdy or wooster.
As for the gap use your 6" drywall knife and joint compound. Fill the gap then use the knife to pull it smooth.
No, fortunately, I plan to keep the texture at this point:-) Just to make sure I understand you... First I install new piece of drywall. Then you're suggesting to use compressor and hopper to put a texture on that piece. It is just a small piece... Does it really need all that equipment (or electric sprayer, as was suggested by cdaniels)? Simple manual spray will be much worse? After that before painting the whole ceiling I have to use Gardz on the small piece of new drywall. As for the the remaining part of the ceiling, I may use regular primer there. Am I right here?
Rollers... Would, say, WoosterŽ Popcorn Roller Cover (R234-9) work fine for ceiling? How many of them do I need, by the way? What about walls? Any particular model?
Gardz... I cannot use it instead of joint compound to fix small cracks, gap between walls and ceiling, etc, can I?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79

Did you actually read it? Did it say use instead of joint compound? Come on people, you have to try and get this!..

I suggest getting a painter that knows what to do. really.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Did you actually read it? Did it say use instead of joint compound? Come on people, you have to try and get this!..

I suggest getting a painter that knows what to do. really.
I was just curious where I can use it except sealing s small piece of drywall... Sorry for stupid question:-) It is going to be our first home improvement in our life... Everybody has to start from zero at some point, right? :-)