What Do To With Dingy Unfinished Basement-Getting Ready To Sell House... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

What do to with dingy unfinished basement-Getting ready to sell house...

Well...I've been searching all morning online for info regarding this problem I have...I'm hoping by posting here I'll get the help I've been looking for!

So here's the story... I bought this say 30 yr old home about 4 years ago. The basement is unfinished, dingy, musty smelling. With stains on concrete walls, efferesence (?spelling), small but long visible cracks etc..etc... Yes, I am aware of the moisture problem...We get water in the spring, I do have a sump pump set up....and we plan on redoing our draintile system around the house soon.....

NOW!All that being said....We are thinking of selling our house...and I thought that I'd like to paint the basement to make it look/smell better and cleaner! WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO KNOW/ SHOULD I DO IN RESPECT TO PAINTING THIS AREA? CALLING FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! Thanks a bunch!

Advertisement

Seanie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanie27 View Post
Well...I've been searching all morning online for info regarding this problem I have...I'm hoping by posting here I'll get the help I've been looking for!

So here's the story... I bought this say 30 yr old home about 4 years ago. The basement is unfinished, dingy, musty smelling. With stains on concrete walls, efferesence (?spelling), small but long visible cracks etc..etc... Yes, I am aware of the moisture problem...We get water in the spring, I do have a sump pump set up....and we plan on redoing our draintile system around the house soon.....

NOW!All that being said....We are thinking of selling our house...and I thought that I'd like to paint the basement to make it look/smell better and cleaner! WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO KNOW/ SHOULD I DO IN RESPECT TO PAINTING THIS AREA? CALLING FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! Thanks a bunch!
Well to do it right, the water problem really has to be solved or the same thing is going to happen again. That said, assuming your going to disclose the moisture problem to buyers, here is what I would do to make it look and smell nicer for now.

I would wash the walls with bleach, then paint them Zinsser BIN shellac, then top coat with a latex paint.

BIN covers up everything, normally in one coat as long as it is applied well. It also seals in almost any kind of odor.

The surface must be dry to use bin.

Jamie

Advertisement

Last edited by jamiedolan; 09-14-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanie27 View Post
WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO KNOW/ SHOULD I DO IN RESPECT TO PAINTING THIS AREA?...CALLING FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
I'd be remiss in not mentioning step 1 is to fix the water problem
Any work you do between now and spring is just going to get messed up when the water comes back

If you want to paint the walls, clean them well and use a masonry approved primer, then paint with latex
For the floor, same thing but no primer, just two coats latex porch & floor paint
(in this damp basement, do not even think of using an oil based floor paint)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

I'd just leave it the heck alone if you can't afford to fix the water problem. The risk that the moisture will return before you can sell is too great. If that happens, your blistering, failing, paint will look even worse than what you have now.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,068

You will want to find out where the water is coming from. Sometimes some gutters and/or a little landscaping change can solve the water problem and landscaping changes can add value to your home.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Nia

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
You will want to find out where the water is coming from. Sometimes some gutters and/or a little landscaping change can solve the water problem and landscaping changes can add value to your home.
I agree. You should try to correct the problem and then you could clean the walls to get rid of the smell as mentioned earlier. By opting to not correct the problem and just disclosing it in your contract will probably scare away a lot of potential buyers. In this market buyers have plenty of options.

Just my .02

Advertisement

Nia is offline   Reply With Quote