Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

what is this 'cutting in' thing I'm hearing about in paint threads?

It seems to be a method for walls meeting trim, etc. Was wondering what this is as it seems to negate a lot of taping, and I spend ridiculous amounts of time taping - and I HATE taping!

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

"Cutting in" is carefully brush painting near where walls and ceilngs meet and around trim, usually without taping, so that the "field" can be painted with a roller. You want to connect wet paint to wet paint so that it all blends together smoothly without getting paint on everything else where it's not supposed to be.
Good luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! Is this something a beginner should be attempting? In all honesty it seems to me I'd *massacre* my lines if I tried freehand !! Maybe I should stay with tape lol, I guess I thought maybe this method was holding something flat in place while painting to avoid tape haha!!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #4

Cutting-in a straight line is sort of a learned skill. The right way to hold the brush is tricky to describe. If you know somebody who paints for a living, ask to watch him/her. Also, brush quality is important. Buy the brand your pro suggests. And then practice. You can do it!

After I got the hang of it, I found it saved time from the taping-off method. And I got a better product as paint tends to creep under that tape.

Oh yes, latex (water-based) paint is better for learning since your mistakes are more easily wiped up.

Romelle
romelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelle View Post
Cutting-in a straight line is sort of a learned skill. The right way to hold the brush is tricky to describe. If you know somebody who paints for a living, ask to watch him/her. Also, brush quality is important. Buy the brand your pro suggests. And then practice. You can do it!

After I got the hang of it, I found it saved time from the taping-off method. And I got a better product as paint tends to creep under that tape.

Oh yes, latex (water-based) paint is better for learning since your mistakes are more easily wiped up.

Romelle
I'm using a purdy but I don't think I'm ready to do this method lol. I've only got so much painting to do since I'm almost/more than half done with my painting, taping will probably be quicker at this point. Anything I've tried to free hand (cut I guess) edges on has been a mistake so far so I'll stick to my tape!!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #6

Really, it isn't too bad, and cutting in eliminates seepage issues that are almost unavoidable with tape.

Go here for pictures of how to hold your brush:
http://www.helpwithdiy.com/painting/...ior_walls.html

(I just searched for "cutting in painting" in Google)

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #7

Well isn't that a nice site! Just bookmarked it. Thanks.

Seems every time I try to help, I learn something also.

The way you hold the brush for cutting in is really sort of counter-intuitive. But it works so well once you get the hang of it.

Though I do understand the original poster being almost done and sticking with a technique he knew.

Romelle
romelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #8

Just a note here. Cutting in is pushing the paint along the length of the object or area that you are trying to paint up to. The problem is...most people that are not professionals have a tendency to paint the object that they are trying to get close to. When you are painting a ceiling one color and then cutting in a second color to your ceiling, you must either draw a line on the ceiling(a line only...sixtenth or thirty-second or smaller). This is your straight line. This line is pushed under your object just slightly and then go back and push it up onto your object or just a billionith of a inch a way if possible...Kidding about the billionith but not really if you can do it...you rule the planet. Or push the paint to within a sixtyfourth of the ceiling...thus creating the illustion of a straight line. Of course if you have a dip in the ceiling you must adjust your line accordingly. Pros...know what I am talking about. Just takes practise.....accuracy...then speed....ect....

Last edited by localtradesman; 11-08-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added more......to much detail to go everywhere.
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #9

If you decide to use tape, here's some tips to help avoid bleeding, or seepage under the tape.
1.Use quality tape. (3m blue is worth every penny).
2.Press it on firmly enough to get a good seal.
(I use a fingernail to burnish the edge)
3.Seal the edges by painting a THIN layer first.*
*(Thin enough to be dry within 10 minutes)
4.Apply final coat.
5.Remove tape before the final coat is dry.

Rough surfaces (Orange peel, stucco, spatter) almost always require cutting by hand. A quality brush makes all the difference when trimming by hand.

Good Luck,
Mike - http://www.TurningColorz.com
TurningColorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #10

thanks for the tips on tape, I think I *may* try cutting in today, we'll see how daring I feel lol. The more I think about it, it's actually not very risky at all in the area I'm going to be painting since there's mostly all white anyways and anything that I could mess up by botching a cut-in could be easily cleaned (tiles, metal shower frame, etc)
Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
Pro Painter

Joey,

Try practicing on a wall next to some moulding around a door. Find one with a tiny gap. This is easiest to do and will help you get the "feel". The wood is clear coated and the paint will wipe off easily.
Then move on to some trim that is tight to the wall, then to floor trim, finally try cutting in a ceiling.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #12

When my condo was painted years ago by my ex, I was shocked at how well she cut in the line between the walls and the ceiling. It was a uniform 1/8" or so around the perimeter of the room and it made the lines seem dead-straight even if the ceiling and walls were a bit wavy at the joint.

I don't think it would fly with my wife if I asked her if I could have my ex come over and paint our new house.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #13

A method I've had success with is using a long drywall knife. Just hold it to the edge and paint up to it. Works great for crown molding, window molding, etc.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #14

I decided to just stick with tape, given I don't have the best control with things of this manner, not the most steady hands.

Anyways I had to do some spots the other day that I really couldn't use tape effectively on (exterior window sills, whole sill and frame was bumpy stucco, tape wouldn't have worked well at all).

I've gotta say it was waaaay easier than I had thought! Took me virtually no time to get the hang of it, soooo cool! Wish I knew it earlier, I was doing edges quicker and more accurately than a lot of the times I was using my tape!! Just make sure I keep using the purdy, tried cutting in with a frayed/crappier brush and it didn't do as well as my newer purdy could.