Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

what colour should i paint my walls

i am looking to buy a white corner suite for my living room, i also have a wooden floor, any ideas what colour i could paint my walls and what colour of accessories etc.

roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #2

you'll probably get a hundred different answers to this question. Its really a matter of personal taste

torpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

You should use bright pink with....just kidding.

Try going to a library. Look in their magazine area for home decorating magazines and other kinds of magazines that involve home improvements. Some libraries also have a year's worth of back-issues.

In the paint dept. of your local hardware stores, where you find the little color sample cards, at the bottom of the rack, they have little 'brochures' that show how some of the color combinations look on actual walls.

If you can, take a scrap piece of your wood flooring (or a really good close-up picture of it) with you and, since you don't have your furniture yet, a piece of fabric the same color as the couch you are buying.

FWIW, it's been my experience that asking for assistance or opinions in the paint department at Home Depot or Lowe's didn't really help. Your best bet would be to go to a store that specializes in paint, like Sherwin-Williams or a Benjamin Moore store. They could help you narrow down your choices (they know the right questions to ask you) and plus, their paint is suppose to be a better quality.

There is one trick I know of to find the color of paint you will be probably be happy with. Look at all of the things you own. Do a lot of the clothes in your closet have a similar color? Is your bedding similar to that color? Is it the same color as other items throughout your home? That's probably the paint color, or one similar to it that you would be happy with. I don't know if that really works, but it's worth a try.

That's just my 2 cents worth. Maybe less than that, with today's economy....
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #4

A good color to go with white would be a light beige or a pwoder blue or pink this will lighten the room and has a nice soft affect on the eyes.

I would stay away from strong heavy colors like orange or red or green in the deep tone or so called accent color style.

Perhaps on one wall you could have a murial painted or hung by a paperhanger. Gives a look of beauty. The murial could be a picture of flowers or water or trees etc. whatever your taste is.
Determined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #5

The first thing you should do when choosing colors for your home, is look around at colors that make you feel good, happy, and relaxed. These colors are probably already in your home. A few examples are the colors you love to look at in your flower garden, the colors in your jewelry, or pottery, or they can be found in the colors of the clothes in your closet.

The second thing you should do is go to your local paint store and pick up a color wheel, and or sample cards, pick the sample cards that really catch your eye, and don't be afraid to get as many as you want. Take these cards home and look at them at different times of the day and night, to see how the color will look when the sun shines in on them, or at night when you have lamps turned on, or candles burning. Study this for several days. Be patient when deciding which color feels best to you.
Dana
Dana11 is offline   Reply With Quote