Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Share |

What color would you paint Garage Door, Front Door, Shutters, Porch Columns

Can someone please let me know their opinions on colors you would paint the garage door, front door, shutters, and porch columns on the house and why? Like would you paint the garage door white or paint it same color as front door? A lot of people in the neighborhood have their garage doors same color as front door. Also just to note the right side of house and also running left to right under windows is red brick. Thanks so much, I look forward to all feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
What color would you paint Garage Door, Front Door, Shutters, Porch Columns-2012-10-23_12-18-28_923.jpg  

Nikki91298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

These types of questions are so hard to answer. Without reading your mind it is difficult to gauge your tastes/preferences, etc. Having said that, I would suggest unifying the house by painting the brick to match the house. Normally I don't like to see brick painted, but, in this case it makes that addition look awkward and leaves the house looking small and chopped up. Personally I like the taupe colors for the body of the house then you can accent with just about any color on shutters, trim, etc.

You could also visit the websites of the major paint manufacturers like Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, Valspar, and use their color software. You pick a house structured similarly to yours and you can play with different color schemes just by clicking........worth a look see. Also, when driving through different neighborhoods, take note of colors that you like.......anyway, best of luck.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Nikki91298 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

I appreciate your feedback. The white part of the house is cedar siding I believe, it's like an off white. I am more of an earthy person if that helps. Would you paint the garage the same color as the front door?
Nikki91298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki91298 View Post
I appreciate your feedback. The white part of the house is cedar siding I believe, it's like an off white. I am more of an earthy person if that helps. Would you paint the garage the same color as the front door?
I like to paint the garage door either the color of the body of the house or an off white. The front door is your welcome point of the house and sets the curb appeal so I like to paint it a different (yet complimentary) color.......usually something with some pop like a bright red, turquoise, or gold depending on your other color choices.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #5

The front door should be the focal point and pop. Garage door should blend in..You don't want to scream 'garage" Shutters same colour as door, but in a flat.

Personally, I really like the colour blue, but as far as decorating your house with it, it is a bit dated. I would pick up one of the tones from the roof..Grey I think. A deep rich grey for the front door..IMO
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

Check out some of the major paint companys web sites.
Some have an area where you can down load a picture of your home and change the colors on screen.
No one on any DIY site is going to know what color looks good to you.
The house down the street has purple and brown shutters for VA tech. Not for me but I guess they like it.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You do not mention where you are. Your first choice should be to decide whether you want your home to blend with the landscape or stand out from it. And what you want it to look like in different seasons. White homes, to me, look very uninviting especially when the ground is covered with snow.

I agree the brick looks a bit like an add on and really sticks out. I am not one for painting brick either but in this case it may be an option. Your other is to paint the home a deeper tone to pick up color in the brick and blend it in that way.

As Jan mentions, you should plan around the roof color since that is unlikely to change. If you want to keep the natural brick color that becomes a color you need to work with as it will not change either.

I would do all the trim the same color, including the garage door. A possible exception might be the front entry door.

I use the Benjamin Moore color visualizer all the time. It is free and you can either use a photo from their collection that has painting areas (siding, trim, front door etc. masked off) or upload your own and mask it. Then try what combinations you think make sense. It even suggests some although I do not use that feature.

I use other color tools but would need more input from you for them to be helpful.

www.easyrgb.com (free) is one that might help you though if you have a picture of a home you like. Use a pixel grabber to capture the RGB code of any color from the picture on your screen. Run the RGB code through www.easyrgb.com and select a paint company color collection. The system will kick out the four closest matches you can than take into the color simulator.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

It's a personal preference issue. Understanding that you're getting our personal preferences....

I do not like that color blue.

Either painting the brick or leaving it alone would be fine.

If the front door is a "statement" of color, then painting the garage door the same color would be too much. If the front door is a pale, neutral color, then painting the garage door the same color would be OK. In either case, painting the garage door either white or the same color as your house always works.

I would check out paint collections that some companies have for painting houses. i.e. not their entire color wheel. For example, Sherwin Williams has a historic collection.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...ic-collection/

Go down to the bottom and click on the ones that say "exterior". Choosing from those that are known to go together is a good start. For example, under Suburban Modern I like their color Stratford Blue better than your blue, and it goes well with the complementary colors shown.

Other paint companies will have other collections that go well together.

Last edited by jeffnc; 06-18-2013 at 07:06 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
As Jan mentions, you should plan around the roof color since that is unlikely to change.
And of course on the other hand, if you're into a whole home color makeover, the roof can be part of that. If your roof is going to need to be replaced in a couple years anyway, you might put a new one on now in any of the myriad colors they have, which will provide a new aspect for the overall color scheme. On your house, your roof is very prominent. We tend to take them for granted, but looking at your picture, it takes up the majority of the color in the picture, so you can play the color in.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Here's the link to Valspar's color visualizer. Most every major paint brand has some version of this on their websites.

http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explo...=painterScreen
Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Dont even think about painting the brick. You will then have a maintenance item on your hands. If anything, paint the cedar siding close to the color of the brick. Paint the garage door white, paint the shutters, and front door british racing green, and put on a new Certainteed landmark roof, color Pewter.

There you go. Where do I send my bill for consulting fees?

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
The front door should be the focal point and pop. Garage door should blend in..You don't want to scream 'garage" Shutters same colour as door, but in a flat.

Personally, I really like the colour blue, but as far as decorating your house with it, it is a bit dated. I would pick up one of the tones from the roof..Grey I think. A deep rich grey for the front door..IMO

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote