What Color To Use - Painting - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

What color to use


Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Her View Post
I just used the Zinsser 123 on my cabinets before I paint them all, first time using it.

sdsester, funny you should say mushroom that is the same color I painted my family room. the 15ft cathedral ceiling has the mix of 3 parts offwhite and one part mushroom.
Don't think I said anything about shrooms in this post! They can be a great way to learn about color.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Member
 
DIY-Her's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 125
Rewards Points: 81
Default

What color to use


oops, my mistake, it was Mr. Paint very funny sdsester
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Member
 
Mr. Paint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 341
Rewards Points: 250
Default

What color to use


The reason I mentioned mushroom is because I was just telling Mrs. Paint that when you drive down any street, 95% of the houses are painted some varying shade of a mushrrom. At least in the SF Bay Area...
__________________
The Painter's Paint Store where QUALITY is ECONOMY
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
Member
 
DIY-Her's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 125
Rewards Points: 81
Default

What color to use


must be a West Coast thing not so here on the East Coast, mostly black, white, green, maroon, and sometimes light tans and occasional mushroom house colors
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What color to use


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Which product?
Sherwinwilliams multi purpose primer.
Honestron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

What color to use


"I'll post some after pics when done. Anything will look better that what I have now. Besides, it's just lipstick on a pig, remember? Trying to get the place pretty, as inexpensively as possible, to sell it.
Honestron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,174
Rewards Points: 2,548
Default

What color to use


Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Her View Post
fyi, ceilings don't always have to be the stark white. Pick a nice creamy offwhite and use that same color for the ceiling. Offwhite on ceilings seems to tone down the brightness you get with the standard white ceilings. I'm repainting my first floor now and am doing the same. Although I mixed my own ceiling paint by mixing 3 parts white and 1 part wall color only because my wall colors are not real dark, but more medium golds or tans. It's turning out nice.
Non-white ceilings are very popular nowadays. I'm not crazy about mixing your own color simply for future maintenance, but the basic idea is good. You could get similar results by picking your wall color, and then going several shades lighter on the manufacturers color chart for the ceiling.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,174
Rewards Points: 2,548
Default

What color to use


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
White ceilings date back to the days when there was one gaslight hanging in the middle of the room as the primary light source. It was as useless there as the modern electrical adaptation of one fixture in the middle of the room where you least want the light.
I don't understand what you mean - why do you say you least want the light reflecting off the ceiling? It seems like kind of a natural idea.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,209
Rewards Points: 1,098
Default

What color to use


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
White ceilings date back to the days when there was one gaslight hanging in the middle of the room as the primary light source. It was as useless there as the modern electrical adaptation of one fixture in the middle of the room where you least want the light. In the restorations I have done over the last couple decades, the only reason to leave that fixture was to provide for some historic lamp fixture like a chandelier or something. But lighting added was around the room where it was needed and actually useful.

There is no reason to paint a ceiling white but misplaced tradition. Adding color, sheen and texture to a ceiling can do a lot to make a room seem special in ways box topping it never can. I've done many ceilings even darker than the walls and it added a lot. It all depends on the room and lighting of course.
Mehhh... White ceilings are like white toilets, tubs, and sinks. It's sometimes trendy to go with other colors, but people always come back to white.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-27-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts