Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What color to use

New to the forum, hope this is the right area to post in.

In the process of fixing up, cosmetically, the house to prepare it for resale and one bedroom in the house is giving me fits. I'm trying to get by as inexpensively as possible, of course.

Small bedroom, approx 8x10 with dark green carpet. One wall is dark green the others are white with green brush marks. I'd like to get by with just painting the walls and ceiling. What color can I use on the walls that would go with the carpet but still be somewhat neutral?

Thanks for your help!

Honestron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

What color to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestron View Post
New to the forum, hope this is the right area to post in.

In the process of fixing up, cosmetically, the house to prepare it for resale and one bedroom in the house is giving me fits. I'm trying to get by as inexpensively as possible, of course.

Small bedroom, approx 8x10 with dark green carpet. One wall is dark green the others are white with green brush marks. I'd like to get by with just painting the walls and ceiling. What color can I use on the walls that would go with the carpet but still be somewhat neutral?

Thanks for your help!
You're probably not going to get by with not priming.

That said, when selling a house, a neutral color on walls, with a white ceiling, is usually a good choice. I'd say something in the ecru/baja realm would work well - though without seeing the room & carpet, it's just about impossible to say.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,214

What color to use

I haven't read anything from the OP that makes me think priming is required.

For the ceiling, I always use Sherwin Williams Extra White. They make a ceiling specific paint now, but I haven't used it.

For neutral walls, try Sherwin Williams Relaxed Khaki. Neutral and will go well with green. If you'd like it darker, try Universal Khaki. If you'd like it lighter, as them to mix it at 75% color.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

What color to use

I would definitely have to primer the walls and ceiling as at one time the room was smoked in (YUK) so it does look dingy. The carpet is in good shape, just needs shampooed, of course.
The walls look as if they dipped the very end of the brush in green paint and then hit the walls with it to create a pattern.
I will check out the paint choices offered. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What color to use-img448.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

What color to use

Quote:
I would definitely have to primer the walls and ceiling as at one time the room was smoked in (YUK) so it does look dingy. The carpet is in good shape, just needs shampooed, of course.
The walls look as if they dipped the very end of the brush in green paint and then hit the walls with it to create a pattern.
I will check out the paint choices offered. Thanks!
Smokers. Lovely...

I think Zinsser BIN is probably your best best in a primer.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,230

What color to use

I would agree with BIN but be prepared as the odor is strong. An alternative might be Cover Stain but it is also strong smelling. The reason for using these products they will seal the odors from smoking and the residue from nicotine.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #7

What color to use

I did buy the relaxed Khaki from Sherwin williams. Looks like a good match with the carper. They also recommended a primer sealer for the splatter paint and smoke odor so I got that. Now it's just a matter of clearing the room and masking everything off.
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advise.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

What color to use

Quote:
I did buy the relaxed Khaki from Sherwin williams. Looks like a good match with the carper. They also recommended a primer sealer for the splatter paint and smoke odor so I got that. Now it's just a matter of clearing the room and masking everything off.
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advise.
Please post some "after" pictures.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #9

What color to use

Agree with BIN, but the odor is a matter of opinion. It's neither water based nor oil based - it's alcohol based. I happen to like the smell - reminds me of a strong mixed drink, like a B52. For some reason I think Bailey's when I smell it. I don't know if it's healthy to be breathing it, but I have worn a respirator when spraying it, and then couldn't smell it.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

What color to use

I love jade green!!!!

-------------------------------
http://onlinepersonaltrainer.es
emvts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

What color to use

Quote:
They also recommended a primer sealer for the splatter paint and smoke odor so I got that.
Which product?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 81

What color to use

fyi, ceilings don't always have to be the stark white. Pick a nice creamy offwhite and use that same color for the ceiling. Offwhite on ceilings seems to tone down the brightness you get with the standard white ceilings. I'm repainting my first floor now and am doing the same. Although I mixed my own ceiling paint by mixing 3 parts white and 1 part wall color only because my wall colors are not real dark, but more medium golds or tans. It's turning out nice.
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DIY-Her For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

What color to use

After priming with Zinsser BIN, pick any shade of a mushroom and do a let-down of that color on the ceiling.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What color to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Her View Post
fyi, ceilings don't always have to be the stark white. Pick a nice creamy offwhite and use that same color for the ceiling. Offwhite on ceilings seems to tone down the brightness you get with the standard white ceilings. I'm repainting my first floor now and am doing the same. Although I mixed my own ceiling paint by mixing 3 parts white and 1 part wall color only because my wall colors are not real dark, but more medium golds or tans. It's turning out nice.
White ceilings date back to the days when there was one gaslight hanging in the middle of the room as the primary light source. It was as useless there as the modern electrical adaptation of one fixture in the middle of the room where you least want the light. In the restorations I have done over the last couple decades, the only reason to leave that fixture was to provide for some historic lamp fixture like a chandelier or something. But lighting added was around the room where it was needed and actually useful.

There is no reason to paint a ceiling white but misplaced tradition. Adding color, sheen and texture to a ceiling can do a lot to make a room seem special in ways box topping it never can. I've done many ceilings even darker than the walls and it added a lot. It all depends on the room and lighting of course.

As for the smell of BIN reminding one of a nice strong cocktail? It always reminds me of high school biology class where we chased around flying bugs and trapped them in sealed jars saturated with denatured alcohol until they croaked---which took surprising little time as I remember.

Whenever using paints with solvent bases (and even pleasant water based ones) you should make sure you have adequate ventilation because by the time you notice the fumes are getting to you, they have been for quite some time. And when you can and are not sure of the concentrations that will build up, an aspirator seems a good idea to me.

Obviously you do not want to blow crud and dust all over your work so be sensible about the force of the ventilation.

My offsprung team just painted a room or two that had non-heavy smokers and tried the newer Zinsser 123 + product. It seemed to seal the tar and nicotine stains. I told them I would use BIN or Cover Stain but they are on their own now. The client did not want the smell.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
DIY-Her (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 81

What color to use

I just used the Zinsser 123 on my cabinets before I paint them all, first time using it.

sdsester, funny you should say mushroom that is the same color I painted my family room. the 15ft cathedral ceiling has the mix of 3 parts offwhite and one part mushroom.

DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote