Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #1

Share |

What causes paint to crack

It's fine everywhere except above my front door, where its cracked and peeling What's up with that & how can I fix it?

Thanks

fixnbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Oil based paints are more prone to cracking than latex or acrylics. A few reasons paint could crack is that it was not applied correctly, the substrate could have had moisture, been contaminated, not primed, improper drying temperatures or times, sometimes on the interior paint will crack from the house settling (shifting), it will also crack if oil base is applied over a waterbourne. I would scrape the area well removing any loose paint, repair the area if needed, feather sand the area if needed, clean it well, prime using quality primer and then paint it. Cheap quality primers and paints also have low adhesion and poor binders in them which contributes to paint failure sooner than it should.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Oil based paints are more prone to cracking than latex or acrylics. A few reasons paint could crack is that it was not applied correctly, the substrate could have had moisture, been contaminated, not primed, improper drying temperatures or times, sometimes on the interior paint will crack from the house settling (shifting), it will also crack if oil base is applied over a waterbourne. I would scrape the area well removing any loose paint, repair the area if needed, feather sand the area if needed, clean it well, prime using quality primer and then paint it. Cheap quality primers and paints also have low adhesion and poor binders in them which contributes to paint failure sooner than it should.
Cheap paint and humidity issues are probably the cause although the point about decent priming is a good one. However, I think the argument about the paint type is backward although you correct in a way. You cannot mix latex and oil finishes. Usually an alkyd primer makes an excellent transition. While such primers are solvent based, they do not leave an oil based layer. Latex products over oil based paint will fail everytime without an alkyd primer unless you use one of the newer superbonding primers.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Cheap paint and humidity issues are probably the cause although the point about decent priming is a good one. However, I think the argument about the paint type is backward although you correct in a way. You cannot mix latex and oil finishes. Usually an alkyd primer makes an excellent transition. While such primers are solvent based, they do not leave an oil based layer. Latex products over oil based paint will fail everytime without an alkyd primer unless you use one of the newer superbonding primers.
I would paint a waterbourne over oil any day and warranty it with no questions asked, but I would never paint an oil over a waterbourne. I am not trying to debate anything I'm just speaking from experience as to what could cause paint failure and as far as painting waterbourne over oil its a fact. The funny thing is we prime with oil a lot and use an acrylic over it and have never had a problem. Its even recomeneded in some situations by paint manufacture and reresentatives.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Seems to me I was trying to say the same thing but maybe said it wrong. Of course you cannot put an oil finish over a latex. You should never attempt to put latex over oil either. A nice alkyd primer will equalize near anything though and alkyds still come in solvent based formulas so people assume they are oil based formulas.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips advice. It was latex paint used over the previous latex paint. I think the temperature issue must be it, it's not peeling anywhere else and the temperature by the front entrance tends to be either colder or hotter depending on the air circulating in the outside hallway.

thanks
fixnbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #7

Are these cracks where there are seams in the wood where 2 pieces come together? If that's the case then the cracks need to be caulked. Paint will fill some cracks but most times it will just re-crack.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote