DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What can I use to fix the wood on this deck prior to staining?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  creeper 
#1 ·
Well, this is my first post and the topic is embarrassing, so please be gentle.

I was overzealous with my power washer last year and damaged the wood. See the picture. I've tried wood putty type repair but that isn't liquid enough. What I am looking for is something that I can use to fill these gouges. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#1 That mold has to be killed first, then your stick with having to now use a belt sander and random orbital sander.
No filler should ever be used on a deck.

#4 ·
I'm looking at the staining on the sides and some of the top surface. May just be some of the filler they tryed to use.
Stain or paint is not going to magicly fill in all those low spots that got blasted out with the pressure washer.

#7 ·
I don't see any sort of serious damage done to your deck. It looks to be something that could be sanded out. It DOES appear to be a solid color stain on the deck which usually doesn't hold up to foot traffic. Like paint, it tends to peel after a year or two. This might be the time to strip off the solid color stain and dress up the deck with a semi-transparent which will hold up much better on a horizontal surface.

#8 ·
There is no mold, the boards are stained with a solid stain. I didn't use semi-transparent because the wood is very old and has lots of cracks and I thought I'd see what happened if I stained it. So, you guys don't know of a very heavy, very viscous application that would fill in minor imperfections?

#11 · (Edited)
There is no mold, the boards are stained with a solid stain. I didn't use semi-transparent because the wood is very old and has lots of cracks and I thought I'd see what happened if I stained it. So, you guys don't know of a very heavy, very viscous application that would fill in minor imperfections?
Wow ..I wish all my Sellers were this fussy. :yes:

Its a deck...outside..

Do you really think anybody is going to care or even notice.

As long as there is no Burmese bear traps on the thing, (stucturally sound) a quick pretty up and move on to other things that need tending

#9 ·
Bob, the only thing I know to try is Elmer's wood filler. I have used it many times on VERTICAL surfaces but never on horizontal surfaces. My guess is that in your case you will need a FLEXIBLE filler of some sort. Anything that won't flex will dry up and crack on that deck. Hopefully, someone will come along with a suggestion. I'm drawing a blank for the time being.

P.S. There's not a problem using the solid color stain, it's just something that will need yearly maintenance because it will peel some every year. It just doesn't have the penetrating power of a semi-transparent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.