Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #1

Share |

What brand paint do you like?

I've used Ben Moore mostly and really liked the Aura product. I have a small bathroom to paint and was wondering if you all have any recommendations or if Aura is still great for walls? How about any trim paint recommendations?

Is Home Depot and the paint they carry as bad as people make it out to be? It's convenient since I'm there a lot during this project but I don't want an inferior product or a crappy finish. Anyone use it and recommend any of their brands they carry? Or should I stick to the Ben Moore/Sherwin Williams paints?

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
I've used Ben Moore mostly and really liked the Aura product. I have a small bathroom to paint and was wondering if you all have any recommendations or if Aura is still great for walls? How about any trim paint recommendations?

Is Home Depot and the paint they carry as bad as people make it out to be? It's convenient since I'm there a lot during this project but I don't want an inferior product or a crappy finish. Anyone use it and recommend any of their brands they carry? Or should I stick to the Ben Moore/Sherwin Williams paints?
Wow Frank kinda like Ford vs Chevy. My question is if you used the Aura and really liked it why not stick with it? Bathrooms are a little different than other rooms when it comes to painting, moisture, things that get sprayed, you get the idea. Most of the major companies have paint formulated for this environment. Aura comes in a Bath and Spa.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Sure, stick with Aura if you like it. Although you might not need it, especially if you're putting on 2 coats anyway. Any quality paint in eggshell should be fine. It's more important to have a good fan in the bathroom and use it, than it is to worry about paint differences, as far as moisture and mildew go. However it still can be a wet/damp environment, so matte is the lowest sheen I'd recommend and eggshell is preferred. Technically semi-gloss would be even better, but I personally can't stand the look on walls.

The reason I don't use the "bath" paints specifically (unless asked) is because if there's a condition in the bathroom that makes that paint necessary, I try to correct that condition first. You should not be growing mold in your bathroom, and certainly not on the walls. Any condition that would cause the slightest mold growth on a painted area should be corrected by means other than paint, IMO.

Quote:
Is Home Depot and the paint they carry as bad as people make it out to be?
No.

Quote:
It's convenient since I'm there a lot during this project but I don't want an inferior product or a crappy finish. Anyone use it and recommend any of their brands they carry?
The Ultra is fine paint, and it comes in both Matte and Eggshell. If it were my own house and SW were too far away and I didn't get a discount there, I'd be happy to finish my bathroom with Behr Ultra. Beware the confusion in the Behr paint line - they are transitioning between the terminology "Flat Enamel" and "Matte" - they are the same, but you might find a can with either on it.

Any of BM Regal, SW SuperPaint or Behr Ultra are good paints. If you want to drop down a few bucks you can also use ProMar 200 from SW. I don't have experience with BM Ben, and only a little experience with the regular Behr Premium Plus, but generally that would be the lowest quality tier I'd go (and this would include ProMar 400). In a higher quality Matte finish, it would be SW Duration or BM Aura, and SW Cashmere if you want an especially smooth finish with less nap texture.

Last edited by jeffnc; 01-14-2014 at 06:50 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #4

I don't think anyone on here has ever asked this question.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I don't think anyone on here has ever asked this question.

nor has a good answer
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

My Mom did her house in Sherwin Williams (Navajo White) and I was very impressed with that stuff! Expensive, but very good. In fact I recently patched some drywall areas and needed some paint to touch it up. I found a half-full can in the garage that was about 10 years old. Opened it up, it smelled fine, it stirred fine, and it went on and blended perfectly with the existing walls. A month later and you can't tell the old from the new.

I can also tell you I used Valspar from Lowe's and wasn't happy at all. I used a can on brand new drywall that was properly prepped and primed, and no matter how well I stirred it or how many times I painted it, once it dried it left uneven color blotches all over. VERY unhappy with it.
spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #7

What you need is the line of Sherwin Williams the paint came from such as ProMar,Duration, Super Paint, or something else. You will need to match this if you want the same performance. Now having said that you may still not get the same performance because in the last 10 years what they have done with the VOCs and such you still may not get the same quality.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Yes, basically any opinion on a particular paint is obsolete after 18 months because that's about how often these companies change their formulas!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Yes, basically any opinion on a particular paint is obsolete after 18 months because that's about how often these companies change their formulas!

I thought it was 18 DAYS
Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #10

Seems like it.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
If that were true you would think Behr would have made some improvements buy now....
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. Yeah I know it was a Chevy vs. Ford type question, but I was trying to see if people think Home Depot's paints have gotten better, or if I should just stick with the BM i'm used to.

I'm not one to try to do 1 coat and be done, I don't mind if a paint needs 2 coats. More interested in that it covers even and lays down nicely.

Home Depot primer/paint reviews on the site are no help. You get one guy who is in love with a product, and the next guy hates it. Guess that's how it goes, either i'll stick to BM or take a chance with the Behr Ultra or whatever they tout as their best.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #13

Not sure what your painting Handy if it's small try the new Behr and see if you think it changed. If it's something big and you're happy with Ben Moore it may not be the right time to experiment.
'
Old 01-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

I would stick with the BM, no doubt about it at all
Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #15

There are lots of less expensive paints that will do fine if you're going to put on 2 coats, whether it be from SW or BM or whoever. The quality of paint is important, not the name on the label. If I were putting on 2 coats I'd spend more in the $25 range, then your final paint film will surely be over 2 mils, which is plenty for most colors. This would be paint like BM Ben or SW ProMar 400 or Behr Premium Plus. I don't see the point in spending >$35 unless you're looking for something specific, like a matte sheen that isn't available in the other paint, smoother finish like SW Cashmere, coverage with tougher colors like BM Aura, etc.