What Brand Is Best? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

What brand is best?

We are repainting out house. Currently, there is the original painted ceder siding.

What is the best brand of paint to use? I live in a climate that ranges from -40 C to +40 C.

Advertisement

VJG86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,336

Consumer Reports has done yearly testing of paint products. You can see their reviews for unbiased recommendations.
Behr was top 2 of 3 in exterior paints. The third was Clark Kensington.
They also di stains and sealers.
You can see the complete results in the June 2015 edition.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,382

Oh god here we go again.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klaatu For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-13-2015), Colbyt (08-12-2015), CyrusR (08-13-2015), Gymschu (08-12-2015), ToolSeeker (08-17-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,096

I would ask around. I don't know if you have regional paint manufacturers in Canada, but, if you do, there is likely a terrific regional brand somewhere in your vicinity. This question has only been asked 4 or 500 times on here and there are as many opinions as there are members of DIYChatroom.

Here in the states, we have the national brands of Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Valspar, as well as some others that make great paint. There's also great regional brands. I have one here in Ohio right up the road, a company directed by a high school friend called Harrison Paints. Their paint ranks right up there with some of the best nat'l brands. So, again, I would ask around to see what you have in your neck of the woods.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 961

The brand is not really what you should focus on. Each company makes a zillion different kinds of paint. Some of them are complete crap. Some of them are rock solid products that pros use every day.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mathmonger For This Useful Post:
klaatu (08-13-2015), SPS-1 (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 3,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Consumer Reports has done yearly testing of paint products. You can see their reviews for unbiased recommendations.
Behr was top 2 of 3 in exterior paints. The third was Clark Kensington.
They also di stains and sealers.
You can see the complete results in the June 2015 edition.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
AlphaWolf (08-12-2015), Gymschu (08-12-2015), klaatu (08-13-2015), ToolSeeker (08-17-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 268

MY Go to exterior is Diamond here is a link. Im from Ontario Canada

http://www.dulux.ca/PPG/Dulux/Media/...R.pdf?ext=.pdf
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I would ask around. I don't know if you have regional paint manufacturers in Canada, but, if you do, there is likely a terrific regional brand somewhere in your vicinity. This question has only been asked 4 or 500 times on here and there are as many opinions as there are members of DIYChatroom.

Here in the states, we have the national brands of Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Valspar, as well as some others that make great paint. There's also great regional brands. I have one here in Ohio right up the road, a company directed by a high school friend called Harrison Paints. Their paint ranks right up there with some of the best nat'l brands. So, again, I would ask around to see what you have in your neck of the woods.
I am trying to get this brand! Hook me up with this guy! I need some credit from them!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would add--

The Following User Says Thank You to klaatu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #10

just a heads up people, consumer Reports magazine has in the past chosen Milwaukee's Best as the best beer. And rated Ferrari dead last in a sports car comparison because it didn't have a cup holder.

They also ranked the Mazda Navajo suv as the best small suv several years ago, while the identical Ford Ranger that the Navajo was based on was rated last. The Ford was $750.00 less and the only difference between the two was the front and rear end designs and the nameplates. How does that happen?

over the years I have gone from taking what they say "with a grain of salt" to they are " flat out lying" to make a buck.

If you pull your heads out you can do a little bit of research on Consumer Reports itself on the internet. You'll be surprised to find that there are more and more people realizing that there is some kind of scam going on there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klaatu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (08-13-2015), Gymschu (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 3,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
just a heads up people, consumer Reports magazine has in the past chosen Milwaukee's Best as the best beer. And rated Ferrari dead last in a sports car comparison because it didn't have a cup holder.

They also ranked the Mazda Navajo suv as the best small suv several years ago, while the identical Ford Ranger that the Navajo was based on was rated last. The Ford was $750.00 less and the only difference between the two was the front and rear end designs and the nameplates. How does that happen?

over the years I have gone from taking what they say "with a grain of salt" to they are " flat out lying" to make a buck.

If you pull your heads out you can do a little bit of research on Consumer Reports itself on the internet. You'll be surprised to find that there are more and more people realizing that there is some kind of scam going on there.
No surprise to us professional painters, when Mr Behr is ranked #1 year after year, something is very, very wrong.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-13-2015), klaatu (08-14-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
No surprise to us professional painters, when Mr Behr is ranked #1 year after year, something is very, very wrong.
Amen, Chris, amen.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,777

I suspect that what Consumer Reports is doing, is rating the paint that is the best value. That means they score the quality of the paint divided by the cost. So their 'best' paint is not the answer to 'what is the absolute best paint' for whatever.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,906

VJG86:

You should be aware that paint is made very much the same way as computers are made. In a Dell or IBM computer, there isn't a single component that was made by Dell or IBM. Dell and IBM simply bought the components from companies that specialize in making those components, like Asus motherboards, nVidea video cards and Western Digital hard drives.

Paint is made exactly the same way in that respect. Neither Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore nor Pratt & Lambert make any of the components in the paint they sell; they all purchase those things from companies that specialize in making acrylic resins, coalescing solvents, rheology modifiers, mildewcides and so on.

That means, that ANY paint company can make the best paint in the world simply by buying the latest and greatest offerings from their suppliers. And, one company did do that for a long time; namely C2 Paints. And, if you were willing to pay $70 for a gallon of paint, then you had the best house paint that current technology can produce.

C2 would regularily print ads that showed independant laboratory testing of their paints compared to those of other well known brand names, and C2 would consistently outperform those other paints. But, that was done simply to provide feed stock for their marketing department to sell more C2 Paint. The strategy didn't work, and C2 is no longer comparing their products to those of other companies. That tells you that they're no longer buying the latest and greatest offerings from all the chemical companies that cater to paint manufacturers.

It also means that the quality of paint that every company produces isn't limited by the talent of their chemists or engineers; it's a management decision based on their existing customer base. No paint company wants to alienate it's customer base by producing a product that's of lesser quality or higher price than their customers expect.

ANY company's top-of-the-line exterior paint should provide good durability, especially if you go with one of the well known brand names like Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Pittsburg or Pratt & Lambert. Lately, Benjamin Moore has been advertising it's Aura Exterior paint a lot. I know the Aura line is Benjamin Moore's top-of-the-line paint, so I expect that it's excellent paint.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-13-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 4,774

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmonger View Post
The brand is not really what you should focus on. Each company makes a zillion different kinds of paint. Some of them are complete crap. Some of them are rock solid products that pros use every day.
Bingo.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
klaatu (08-14-2015)