Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #1

Share |

weathered shingle siding

I have applied a solid acrylic stain over some of our weathered grey shingles siding with in the hopes that over time it will fade and provide that "cape cod" weathered look. two years later and the solid stain is holding up far too well for the look that we hoped for. Any suggestions for fixing/weathering the solid stain, and what are my best options for applying some protection for the remaining shingles while maintaining the weathered look?

darrenmurray1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #2

weathered shingle siding

There are oils you can apply that will create that look, but not now, not over a solid cover stain. Cabot's makes a bleaching oil and a toner that come in a weathered gray. But these products can only be applied to untreated wood. I really don't know what you can do now, other than strip them and start over, or reinstall, but they're both $$$. Wood with a solid stain hides the grain. Without a visible grain you won't have the weathered look, just siding that looks like it needs new finish.
http://www.cabotstain.com/products/p...ching-Oil.html
http://www.cabotstain.com/products/p...Solutions.html

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

weathered shingle siding

Yup. You should not have gone with a solid stain if the weathered look was what you wanted. I guess you could try a faux weathered finish using some different shades of the solid stain color in some sort of glazing technique---wipe a contrasting shade over the base color and then wipe off for some sort of distressed look. I have never seen it attempted on an exterior though and IMO faux faux fi fi foo foo finishes can rage out of control in a hurry.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #4

weathered shingle siding

I figured that the solid stain was the wrong choice. I think I'll have a go on a few solid shingles with a pressure washer (set very low) to see if it does anything... We're probably going to end up using a semi on the remaining shingles and eventually replace the shingles I covered with solid. So much for saving some cash doing this myself. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

weathered shingle siding

A semi what? A semi trans stain is not going to give you a weathered look. Don't make the same mistake twice. There are products made to specifically create a weathered look. There's a big difference in the look you're going to get. I did my mother's deck with Cabot's Cape Cod Gray toner. It looks like driftwood. I worked on a job on the beach in Stone Harbor, NJ, we used Cabot's bleaching oil on shake siding. I see it from time to time, it looks likes driftwood. I have a customer who has a stucco home with rough sawn cedar trim on his house, it's gray semi trans stain. It doesn't look like driftwood, and it needs done. It looks like crap, like a semi trans badly in need of re coating.
I don't think the problem is that you're doing the work yourself, it's that you didn't look before you leaped, and seemingly are going to continue in that way.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

weathered shingle siding

Thank you jsheridan! You're absolutely right and to my defense i spoke with a person in a home improvement store before going with the solid stain... she said that over time stains fade, not peal, or crack like paint and that it would eventually reach my desired look. So much for that.

Steering me away from the semi transparent stain and pointing me toward the cape cod gray toner and bleaching oil is very much appreciated. I'm leaning toward the toner because there is an existing blue grey tint on my weathered shingles which leads me to believe that they were treated at one point. ON the links you provided the toner says that that it can be used on new or "reconditioned" (whatever that means) wood, whereas the oil says it should be used on new wood that has not been treated. Maybe i should buy a little of both to test... feel free to weigh in. thanks again.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

weathered shingle siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenmurray1 View Post
Thank you jsheridan! You're absolutely right and to my defense i spoke with a person in a home improvement store before going with the solid stain... she said that over time stains fade, not peal, or crack like paint and that it would eventually reach my desired look. So much for that.

Steering me away from the semi transparent stain and pointing me toward the cape cod gray toner and bleaching oil is very much appreciated. I'm leaning toward the toner because there is an existing blue grey tint on my weathered shingles which leads me to believe that they were treated at one point. ON the links you provided the toner says that that it can be used on new or "reconditioned" (whatever that means) wood, whereas the oil says it should be used on new wood that has not been treated. Maybe i should buy a little of both to test... feel free to weigh in. thanks again.

again, more great advise from the orange apron people
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

weathered shingle siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

again, more great advise from the orange apron people
Could have been people in other color aprons! Let us not assume only one box store chain hires, and fails to train, minimum wage people to work in the paint department. And I say again, I brought myself to go in an HD last week doing some research for a book project. The young woman behind the paint counter was darn cute. If I were 20-30 years younger I might be smitten enough to buy crap paint. She tried to be helpful to the point I did feel sorry for her and I was nice to her. Not her fault the company throws its help to the lions to fend for themselves as best they can.

Last edited by user1007; 05-06-2013 at 07:27 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior shingles, protection, weathered look