DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

water on oil based?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jsheridan 
#1 ·
I have a feeling I won't like the answer. I'm tired of painting louvered doors, so took a shortcut by buying Rusteolem spray paint in a can. (good for metal or wood). I thought I would do the final coat with my nice SW trim paint.

Only thing, I realized it was oil based when my brush, (where I touched up) didn't rinse out.

I am putting the 2nd coat on tomorrow, so since it hasn't cured will it be alright to use my water based trim paint on top? Please say yes.

Afterwards I looked at the can and it said clean up with mineral spirits which I didn't have so I used mower gas. My dad used to do that. Except I put the gas in a plastic cup and the cup dissolved and the gas ran all over the garage and smells badly.

#2 ·
Louvered doors=royal PITA When I started I used one of those yellow buzz sprayers to do doors and trim. They are really pretty cheap now, and if you don't want to keep it you can sell when done. And yes you can put water based over oil. May want to light sand a little first. Just a scotch pad or something light your just scratching it.

#12 ·
Charlie, I'm looking for a paint authority to tell me that, not painters who are doing what they were told is necessary, and I haven't seen or heard it. I've never seen or heard the following, "when switching from an oil to latex, or latex to oil, system, which have incompatibilities and different expansion/contraction rates, it is critical to apply an intermediary/transition primer coat, the lack of which will lead to bond failure".
While you will always benefit from a bonding primer, that doesn't necessarily mean the lack of it equals failure. When I was taught it as a kid it was primer, not bonding primer, and it never made sense to me, so I asked, and have been asking and searching since. I've gotten many answers, but none that say it's necessary or critical. And I've been around long enough to have learned the hard way that it is indeed. Peace out.

#14 ·
I think a lot goes back to when latex was first becoming popular then it was true you had to be very careful. But over the years latex has evolved to where it is now and that is totally different from back then. I think this is just something that is still around. You got to remember back then latex paint was really bad. And everything was painted with lead based oil whice also made for different adhesion properties.

#16 ·
Guess I'm just old fashioned.It would be a nightmare for me to have to come back to a customer's house and strip a peeling door (or several doors) and start over.Yes sanding is definitely essential.Thanks for the info guys- never too old to learn.

#17 ·
While I almost always sand and use a primer, here is an example of one that would probably work fine straight on with prep-
So almost all absolutes usually have some exceptions, and with the tech changing so quickly in paints and the completion is fierce to get an edge, this will only increase.

http://www.muralo.net/products/ultra_7657.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.