DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water drip spot repel primer?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
So we bought a house, and removed the popcorn ceilings our self. We used a mixture of downy/water (50/50) and did not bother to cover the walls as we figured we'd be painting them; no big deal.

So we get the ceiling done, quickly sponge the walls in 1 room, and begin primer (Glidden PVA Drywall Primer/Sealer)spraying with our new Graco X5 sprayer.... The room drys, but we have a problem. Anywhere the downy water mixture dripped on the wall, you can see it through the primer; almost as if the primer did not take.

We are total rookies, and really worried we screwed this up BIG TIME!!!!

So pros, how do we fix our mess up? Thank you in advance for your help!

#7 ·
Nope- and the problem on the ceiling is usually leftover texture mud/dust that isn't adhering- so one again Gardz penetrating primer to the rescue!

And I never use fabric softener. Old wives tale- not needed...

#2 ·
The water/downy drips are probably showing through. If you had rolled ( or backrolled the spray) which works it in a lot more with physical action, you might not have had the problem.

I don't think it is the Downy , as much as the water has changed the porosity of the runs.

PVA is not my favorite, but it probably isn't the problem.

#4 ·
Good question- might take a little experimentation.

You could prime it all with Gardz, but I'd try rolling on some of your final paint over your prime to see if it continued.

When people use a sprayer- they think it will be easier/better /faster.
most of the time it is none of the above..

#5 ·
Try sanding the drips and spotting them again with the primer.
I could just be where the wall was a little damp still, and not be that big of a deal when it dries.......unless it leaves water stains. If the area around the drips looks brownish at all, you need a better primer.

#6 ·
I've never done popcorn removal, but I have seen that issue with water run marks from wallpaper removal. It usually isn't a big deal in the finish coat.

I was under the impression that wet popcorn removal usually necessitated a stain blocking primer because of yellowing and water marks.
Do you guys that do removal getaway with using something like PVA?

#9 ·
I looked at doing my first removal job the other day. Its an older home, I think it settled a bit in recent years and the popcorn ceiling just started falling off. No signs of water damage or leaks.
I'm hoping most of it will come off dry, I will still probably prime it with cover stain.

It has been painted before, not sure if that will help me or hurt me in this case, seems like it might be less messy with paint to hold it together a little.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.