Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Walmart Paint

Hey there. Looking to do some renovations to the house, and wanted to buy paint on the cheap. Walmart's the closest store with paint for miles, so I was wondering if it's any good for that sort of thing.

I kind of looked at the paint section the other day and saw they carried Glidden, but I don't know that much about what to look for in a paint. Does anyone know about this brand? Thanks.

buddyglaser58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #2

Walmart Paint

i have used glidden for years and never had any problems with it. always plan on 2 finish coats of any paint and stay away from the paint and primer in one.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Walmart Paint

Very good to know. Thank you for the help DannyT.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Walmart Paint

Two weeks ago, I was lucky to buy a 5 gallon bucket of paint at Walmart that had been mismarked at $19.84 that was supposed to be $54.00. They honored to me the lower price and quickly changed the
sign thereafter.
mcknn640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Walmart Paint

Glidden is now owned by a highly respected foreign company. The professional products under the brand are respectable as far as I know but they seem to be hyping their higher end paints more and more. They may have relegated the Glidden brand to the unwashed and unknowing consumer market. I would be leary of any box store products. Pittsburgh comes to mind. Its paint store paints are fine and its box store product is nothing short of horrible. Why they market it under the same brand name amazes me.

And does it really make sense to buy 20 pounds of salmon, fresh bread and paint in the same place? Forget that WalMart is just plain evil. They give nothing back to communities in which they operate.

There is no such thing as cheap paint and 95 percent of a paint job is labor and prep. Is the paint really where you want to cut corners after doing all the work ahead of you? Buy paint from a paint store or a real hardware store that has something like a Benjamin Moore franchise or working paint section.

One thing I can guarantee you. The person mixing paint for you at WalMart will have no expertise or real product knowledge so know exactly what you want before you go. And please don't buy a giant sack o brushes!

I started to say to say I cannot believe WalMart is the only place within miles where you can buy paint. But I remember I helped out a little town in Iowa 3-4 years ago who watched ALL their retail disappear when a WalMart went in 30 miles away. Turns out they really had not looked that hard for a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams dealer.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (09-19-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

Walmart Paint

Mcknn640, lucky you!

Sdsester, thank you. I greatly appreciate your input. As you touched upon, I'm in a small town, so I'd have to make the drive out to the Home Depot to look elsewhere for paint.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

Walmart Paint

This actually pains me to say this, but, Walmart's brand "Colorplace" or something like that is actually pretty decent. I would compare it to the lower end version of the good paintstore brands like SW & BM. It doesn't have a superior finish but it covers fairly well. I have had to do several homes with it for folks on a tight painting budget & wasn't disappointed in its' performance. I believe Sherwin-Williams owns the paint co. that makes Walmart's paint. That doesn't mean they actually make it in an SW plant but they own the co.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 18

Walmart Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyglaser58 View Post
Mcknn640, lucky you!

Sdsester, thank you. I greatly appreciate your input. As you touched upon, I'm in a small town, so I'd have to make the drive out to the Home Depot to look elsewhere for paint.

From worse to very bad
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 30

Walmart Paint

Just a little true story i saw a woman i know a short time ago and she said i think i,m going to have to get you to paint my living room. I said i thought you already painted it, she said i did 3 times but you can still see thru it. I said what did you use she said Big Lots $7 a gallon. Be careful where you try to save on a job.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

Walmart Paint

Glidden is now owned by a highly respected foreign company. The professional products under the brand are respectable as far as I know but they seem to be hyping their higher end paints more and more. They may have relegated the Glidden brand to the unwashed and unknowing consumer market. I would be leary of any box store products.

Akzo Nobel does manufacture the Color Place, the Better Homes and Garden, and the Brilliance products
(good/better/best) in Wal Mart, in addition to the Flood Wood care products. While I agree that the personnel in box stores may not be the most knowledgeable paint people (due to personnel turnover and training), the products are formulated to perform well if applied properly. The price points in large retailers are set by that retailer, NOT by the manufacturer.

It would be an idiotic business model to sell inferior products through wide distribution channels, as they would not carry your products for very long at all (due to complaints). Sdester- I understand your skepticism of box stores, but the repetitive insinuation about product quality sold in these locations is unfounded, for the most part (especially when most of the critics have never applied them). Box stores are generally more accessible to consumers, as commercial paint stores may have shorter hours.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #11

Walmart Paint

Consumer Reports rated Glidden as some of their "Best Buys." I am partial to Benjamin Moore, but used Glidden (based on the CR recommendation) because there's no paint store within 50 miles of my house. I was covering a dark purple wall and ceiling, so I primed it first, but I had no issues with the Glidden.

(I love WalMart, but I don't want to fight that fight here.)

And FYI, we used a Glidden gel Trim & Door product that I am beyond thrilled with. A high gloss finish with no brushmarks - that my 17 year old did. It's a miracle!

Last edited by angelatc; 09-19-2012 at 12:28 PM.
angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Walmart Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
Consumer Reports rated Glidden as some of their "Best Buys." I am partial to Benjamin Moore, but used Glidden (based on the CR recommendation) because there's no paint store within 50 miles of my house. I was covering a dark purple wall and ceiling, so I primed it first, but I had no issues with the Glidden.

(I love WalMart, but I don't want to fight that fight here.)

And FYI, we used a Glidden gel Trim & Door product that I am beyond thrilled with. A high gloss finish with no brushmarks - that my 17 year old did. It's a miracle!

good one
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Walmart Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Glidden is now owned by a highly respected foreign company. The professional products under the brand are respectable as far as I know but they seem to be hyping their higher end paints more and more. They may have relegated the Glidden brand to the unwashed and unknowing consumer market. I would be leary of any box store products.

Akzo Nobel does manufacture the Color Place, the Better Homes and Garden, and the Brilliance products
(good/better/best) in Wal Mart, in addition to the Flood Wood care products. While I agree that the personnel in box stores may not be the most knowledgeable paint people (due to personnel turnover and training), the products are formulated to perform well if applied properly. The price points in large retailers are set by that retailer, NOT by the manufacturer.

It would be an idiotic business model to sell inferior products through wide distribution channels, as they would not carry your products for very long at all (due to complaints). Sdester- I understand your skepticism of box stores, but the repetitive insinuation about product quality sold in these locations is unfounded, for the most part (especially when most of the critics have never applied them). Box stores are generally more accessible to consumers, as commercial paint stores may have shorter hours.
I have popcorn and soda ready for the response to this one
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 30

Walmart Paint

Wal Mart sells no inferior products ???
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #15

Walmart Paint

I will say this because I worked at SWP for over a decade and saw this in the plant with my own eyes. A lot of the same products sold at different retailers are just crossfills. I saw a long line of cans, the first section was Classic 99 (SWP), second was Martha Stewart (KMart), and I didnt even recognize the third brand. Point is that the same paint was going into each can. And sold 8$ per gallon cheaper at KMart (This was about 10 yrs ago). Paint companies all do this, so be aware and check out who manufactures your big box paint, it may not be as crappy as you think (unless it is Behr, then it really is that crappy).......

PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote