Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Walls Made Of Tin

I recently bought an old farmhouse that I would like to restore. Previous owner said the kitchen walls are made of tin, as is the ceiling. The walls are painted and have an uneven, bumpy texture most likely because of the design in the tin.

Has anyone ever heard of tin walls? I am thinking of tearing it down to the plaster. Any info and insight would greatly be appreciated.

NewEnglandYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #2

Walls Made Of Tin

Yes, they did make tin wall and ceiling paneling many decades ago (like around the turn of the last century). Yes, the tin was usually stamped with a decorative pattern.

If you want to renovate, you might as well tear off the tin and sell it as scrap metal. If you want to restore, you will want to use paint remover and clean the tin down to the bare metal, and repaint.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-03-2011 at 07:41 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Walls Made Of Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Yes, they did make tin wall and ceiling paneling many decades ago. Yes, the tin was usually stamped with a decorative pattern.

If you want to renovate, you might as well tear off the tin and sell it as scrap metal. If you want to restore, you will want to use paint remover and clean the tin down to the bare metal, and repaint.
Thanks for the quick reply and info. My house was built in 1889 and I do wish to restore it as much as possible. However, tin walls could not have been the original in the kitchen. My guess is that its a 1940-1950 remodel?

I am concerned with what I may find behind the tin such as lots of cracks or other plaster damage. I can't understand why one would paint over tin when this covers the distinctive features of the tins.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

Walls Made Of Tin

They still make those panels.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

Walls Made Of Tin

They still make tin panels for walls and ceilings. There are a number of companies in the US you can buy from. I would be surprised if they were installed in the 40s or 50s. The hey-day for tin was the Victorian period which came to a close just as your house was being built. They could very well be original. Behind them could be a pretty damaged plaster wall that would require a lot of work. I recently installed a tin ceiling for exactly this reason - to cover a damaged plaster ceiling.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #6

Walls Made Of Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
They still make tin panels for walls and ceilings. There are a number of companies in the US you can buy from. I would be surprised if they were installed in the 40s or 50s. The hey-day for tin was the Victorian period which came to a close just as your house was being built. They could very well be original. Behind them could be a pretty damaged plaster wall that would require a lot of work. I recently installed a tin ceiling for exactly this reason - to cover a damaged plaster ceiling.
Thanks for the info. I guess I thought the tin walls was a remodel because the previous owner had 1950's furniture in the kitchen. The thing I dislike about these tin walls is that the texture is rough and uneven. Makes it difficult to hang anything up. Can't have wall cabinets.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Super Master Painter

Walls Made Of Tin

those tins panels are very expensive...............would be nice if you could restore some of them by hey to each his own..........good luck with your,home........................i have a penchant for things of yesterday

Last edited by Ole34; 02-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #8

Walls Made Of Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
those tins panels are very expensive...............would be nice if you could restore some of them by hey to each his own..........good luck with your,home........................i have a pension for things of yesterday
Thanks for your response. If the tin walls are original than I will restore them and not tear down. I have a penchant for old things and old houses as well.

Last edited by NewEnglandYank; 02-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

Walls Made Of Tin

yes, definitely keep the tin if at all possible..............

not to sound lame but I enjoy removing and old piece and thinking about the last person to handle it........who were they? when did they do it ? how did they do it ? ........kind of like a new craftsman meets an old but not in a physical way ...........
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #10

Walls Made Of Tin

Stop daydreaming and get back to work.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Professional Painter

Walls Made Of Tin

I have seen tin floor before, but not interior walls....wow!
mattroefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #12

Walls Made Of Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattroefer View Post
I have seen tin floor before, but not interior walls....wow!
I can't imagine tin floors or how well it holds up to a lot of traffic and abuse. I think tin should be restricted to ceilings and as a backsplash. It makes the wall uneven with a bumpy texture. How can you hang up wall cabinets, or anything else for that matter? Being a Victorian house, the kitchen has no wall or base cabinets or even a counter. But back then, in the 1880's, kitchens usually just had a work table and some furniture. It was usually used by the servants, rather than the lady of the house. Thus kitchens were never fancy. More like a work room.

I just bought this house and will close on it end of next week. After I get moved in and settled, I will see if the tin is the original wall or not.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #13

Walls Made Of Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
yes, definitely keep the tin if at all possible..............

not to sound lame but I enjoy removing and old piece and thinking about the last person to handle it........who were they? when did they do it ? how did they do it ? ........kind of like a new craftsman meets an old but not in a physical way ...........
Sadly, so few people seem to care about the craftsmanship and care that went into building these old houses. Too many tear down everything. Thus we lose the charm of the original. Its even difficult to find a true plaster craftsman nowadays. These houses that are 100 years old made it this far for a reason. New houses with the cheap materials are already laden with problems and defects. I am totally for restoration and NOT remodeling. This is why I asked about the tin walls. I thought it was a remodel job.

There is one bedroom that the previous owner tried to remodel by putting up wood paneling. Horrible! These will definitely have to come down.