Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Share |

walls with black spraypaint....

im a rookie.
my apartment kitchen has white walls, and in some parts there is black spray paint graffitti on some parts and i want to do something about it.
can i get away with just painting over it, or will i need to sand the old paint off? what are my options?

Stratto711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Shouldn't be a big problem. The only issue is adhesion. If you give the sprayed areas a light quick sand to give the paint something to adhere to, you should be good.
You might want to hit the dark stuff with a coat or two to get it covered before finishing the whole wall.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Great, thanks for the tip.
Stratto711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Going to have to prime it first with a sealing primer.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Depending on what color you are painting the walls, Zinser Primer can be tinted to a tint close to what you are going to paint the walls. Only need to sand down rough spots that are from previous fixes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

If I found graffiti on my walls, I would move.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (12-16-2012), jsheridan (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
If I found graffiti on my walls, I would move.
A lot of times it is done by tenants being evicted, or they let their kids run rampant and do this stuff. One place I lived at for about a year, one tenant was teaching his kid knife throwing, and trashed about every wall in the unit.

Does not mean because of one bad thing or apple, that everyone should leave that building or complex.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A lot of times it is done by tenants being evicted, or they let their kids run rampant and do this stuff. One place I lived at for about a year, one tenant was teaching his kid knife throwing, and trashed about every wall in the unit.

Does not mean because of one bad thing or apple, that everyone should leave that building or complex.
Are you sure?

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote