Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Wallpaper/paint mess

I removed the wallpaper from my wall,and thought it was okay to paint over. Well, apparently the glue was still there, so the paint started to peel and everything looks like texture painting! Now everything is dry and looks awful. What to do to fix? Sanding? I've never had this kind of mess before!

silverskatermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,194

Wallpaper/paint mess

You in for one big, nasty job. You will need to get back to the original wall surface somehow, sanding,scraping, cussing, etc.Without seeing it,I really cannot say what will work best. Maybe new drywall? In the future you really need to remove all the PASTE before painting, but you know that now.

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
New Home Owner

Rewards Points: 25

Wallpaper/paint mess

okay, just to get this straight, i'll hack this old thread

i just removed wallpaper, and there is glue residue because it feels greasy when wet

i have washed with tsp and rinsed twice. do I now need to use DIF and prime with Gardz?

i'm lazy and the paint under the wallpaper is close to the colour i want to paint the whole room. i still need to prime though?
Brandon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wallpaper/paint mess

Primer is a great equalizer and will greatly improve your finish coat, especially in a situation like that you describe. You will probably end up needing two coats of something anyhow so why not make the primer one of them? You can tint it with 60 percent or so of your paint formula to make it easier to cover on your finish pass.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Wallpaper/paint mess

You will need to prime the walls with a good quality oil base primer, if you use a waterbourne primer or paint over walls that you've removed wall paper from no matter how clean you think you've gotten the wall and no matter how many times you've washed the wall there is still wallpaper glue residue on the wall and if you paint or prime over that with a waterbourne paint(latex)(acrylic) adventually your paint will start to peel, flake, bubble off of the wall, because the water in the paint will re activate the wallpaper glue, so always prime with oil base after removing wallpaper, then you can top coat with a good 100% acrylic, which is a waterbourne paint
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Wallpaper/paint mess

i have washed with tsp and rinsed twice. do I now need to use DIF and prime with Gardz?

Yes

An oil based primer will work also but Gardz is made for this purpose and you don't have to deal with the oil clean up.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Wallpaper/paint mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
You will need to prime the walls with a good quality oil base primer, if you use a waterbourne primer or paint over walls that you've removed wall paper from no matter how clean you think you've gotten the wall and no matter how many times you've washed the wall there is still wallpaper glue residue on the wall and if you paint or prime over that with a waterbourne paint(latex)(acrylic) adventually your paint will start to peel, flake, bubble off of the wall, because the water in the paint will re activate the wallpaper glue, so always prime with oil base after removing wallpaper, then you can top coat with a good 100% acrylic, which is a waterbourne paint

Oil primer is not necessary for this application and it is PASTE( or adhesive) not glue.Glue has not been used for about 80 years.

http://www.zinsser.com/pdf/TDB/gardz.pdf
Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
New Home Owner

Wallpaper/paint mess

i went to Rona and Home Depot and neither have Gardz. maybe it's not in Canada?

What do you think of Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Wallpaper/paint mess

pretty much repeating what Chris said above....you should try to find the Guardz, if not an oil based primer is fine - zinsser cover Stain, ben moore fresh start OIL #2400, original Kilz..etc...

Try looking for the Guardz in a paint store. It's more of specialty product so most boxes won't have it.

good luck!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Wallpaper/paint mess

Gardz is often with wall paper supplies at the box stores( or so I am told).If you cannot get that, then you must use an oil based primer .123 will not do it.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Haste Makes Waste

Wallpaper/paint mess

Gardz is a little less easy to find than other primers but it is out there. Try the wallpaper section of Lowes or Home Depot. It usually is not with the other primers in the paint departments. If you have a local supplier of Zinsser (such as Bullseye) products they should be able to order you some. It will make a difference in the outcome. Listen to Chris. I did (after already doing 4 rooms) and there is a major difference in the last two rooms following his direction. You'll be glad you did.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
New Home Owner

Wallpaper/paint mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzonetv View Post
... if not an oil based primer is fine - zinsser cover Stain, ben moore fresh start OIL #2400, original Kilz..etc...
Looked at the Depot again and no Gardz. I picked up some Original Kilz though.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Wallpaper/paint mess

I picked up some Original Kilz though.

If you are in an enclosed area, you will need a respirator( not a dust mask but the real thing). Open windows, turn on fans, it is going to smell very bad
Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
New Home Owner

Wallpaper/paint mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You will probably end up needing two coats of something anyhow so why not make the primer one of them? You can tint it with 60 percent or so of your paint formula to make it easier to cover on your finish pass.
So one coat of tinted primer and one coat of paint sounds good.

Will Ben Moore tint my Kilz which I bought at Home Depot? or should I buy Ben Moore primer?

Last edited by Brandon19; 09-26-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Haste Makes Waste

Wallpaper/paint mess

If the Kilz is tintable it will say so on the can and your BM dealer should tint it for you when you get your paint. It is not recommended to add paint to primer to tint it. Paint and primer are two different products having different properties designed for different applications. You need the primer to seal off any adhesive residue and mud repairs and provide a clean, smooth, grippable surface in which the paint can adhere.

If you cannot get Gardz through local general building suppliers or a local paint store (they should be able to order for you if they sell Zinsser products) then as Chris said you need to use the oil base primer.

I just finished three rooms stripping wallpaper and sealing walls with the Gardz. Quite messy to use, but still a lifesaver for me as I do not want to deal with anything oil-base.

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote