This Wallpaper Glue Is Stubborn! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

This wallpaper glue is stubborn!

I've removed wallpaper before, but this particular wallpaper glue has got me stumped. I used that tiger roller to pluck holes in the wallpaper, got the wallpaper off, but the glue residue is a major headache. It just won't come off without LOTS of time and elbow grease. Do you know of any miracle solutions? The heavyduty wallpaper had strands of strings in it, and this glue is heavyduty, too. I'm using Zinsser DIF concentrate liquid wallpaper stripper that I'm using at almost 100% full strength. I have to apply about 5 coats, let it sit, and then scrape it. It took about an hour to do a 1 foot by 1 foot square. Any ideas?

Advertisement

proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes
It's time for Zinsser's Gardz
You'll find it at your local Paint Store
(not at the big box)

It's designed for this sort of thing
It goes on kinda like watered down Elmer's glue
Then it penetrates and seals
After it dries, you can knock down any high spots with a putty knife, they become hard enough to "chip" them off...and sand the area smooth
At that point, if you need to use joint compound to fill in or smooth out any areas you can, just remember to re-prime any repair areas...regular primer will be OK at that point, or Gardz if you have some left over
If you don't need to fill with j/c, then you can paint right over the Gardz

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Born a decorator

Rewards Points: 25

Once you get that process done; I would consider doing a faux finish to the walls - this will hide any imperfections.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-01-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Advertising Links Not Allowed: Removed
PassionateDIY'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by proofer View Post
I've removed wallpaper before, but this particular wallpaper glue has got me stumped. I used that tiger roller to pluck holes in the wallpaper, got the wallpaper off, but the glue residue is a major headache. It just won't come off without LOTS of time and elbow grease. Do you know of any miracle solutions? The heavyduty wallpaper had strands of strings in it, and this glue is heavyduty, too. I'm using Zinsser DIF concentrate liquid wallpaper stripper that I'm using at almost 100% full strength. I have to apply about 5 coats, let it sit, and then scrape it. It took about an hour to do a 1 foot by 1 foot square. Any ideas?

I have tried a few different store bought products that didn't work near as well or quick and simple water and white vinegar mixed about 2/3 vinegar, 1/3 water, in a spray bottle. Soaked it down, took a plastic scraper and the stubborn glue came right up. After removing all the glue, watered it a bit and wiped off all the left over residue. Voila!! Now for some good ol' elbow grease you saved for the sanding down the imperfections, or like the lady said, faux finish if you're so inclined. Just be careful with the scraper so as not to put and gouges or dents, etc. into the wall.
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Water and simple white vinegar??? That's it??? Darn---too late for this wallpaper removal job. I ended up using the DIF full strength and switched from a plastic scraper to a metal scraper. And yes, with the amount of heavy-duty scraping that I had to do, I did damage the wall to the point that it needed repaired before applying the wall paint.

But, I do have another room that has wallpaper that will need to come off, so I will try your water-and-vinegar solution on that and see how it goes. I will be sure to report back. Thanks for the great tip! I'm anxious to see how it works for me.
proofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by proofer View Post
Water and simple white vinegar??? That's it??? Darn---too late for this wallpaper removal job. I ended up using the DIF full strength and switched from a plastic scraper to a metal scraper. And yes, with the amount of heavy-duty scraping that I had to do, I did damage the wall to the point that it needed repaired before applying the wall paint.

But, I do have another room that has wallpaper that will need to come off, so I will try your water-and-vinegar solution on that and see how it goes. I will be sure to report back. Thanks for the great tip! I'm anxious to see how it works for me.

make sure you let it soak after spraying it in, for like 5 minutes or so........just a simple $1.00 spray bottle is fine to use.........have fun douching.
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

You could also try a steamer. I have heard people have had great success with these. You can rent them at HD and they just heat up the glue enough for you to scrape it off.
baksdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Here is what you want,nothing else compares

http://www.safeandsimple.com/

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote