DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

wallpaper??

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
so, i'm getting my room ready to be a nursery.. there's very old wall paper in the room that is laid over what appears to be paint on a brown card board-ish type of surface. it peels and cracks off easily because it is several layers thick. the wallpaper has been painted a few times too. over the years the paper has cracked in some places so i figured i should just take it off completely, or at least the areas where it has cracked. i started stripping the walls today, and the walls underneath are fine and not cracked, as i was wondering if they would be... my question is, should i be taking this stuff off?? is it ok to just put wallpaper directly on the underneath surface? the surface is drywall. just plain drywall. is there some way to finish it? was the cardboard surface a type of finishing? should i paint over the drywall? is the wallpaper ok to put on it..?? any info will help. thank you!!! :no:

#3 ·
You should remove any old wallpaper you can
Then clean and sand as well as you can
I'd prime the whole of what you have left with Gardz
Then any lumps or ridges that are left, smooth them over with a layer or two (or three if need be) of joint compound to make the surface smooth
Sand smooth and feather sand repairs so they are smooth
Prime over the repair areas (the joint compound)
Regular primer is OK for this, but if you have Gardz left over, that's fine too
Then you should be good to apply a wall covering or paint

#4 ·
Curious about the brown cardboardish stuff. At any rate, yes, take it down to the drywall. If there isn't enough gardz on hand, just get some wallpaper sizing. Sizing or gardz will do two things, first it creates a surface the paper will slide around on so it's easier to install, second, if you ever want to remove the paper, it will come off easier. Although it sounds like the wall was sized previously.

#7 ·
I didn't know slickshift did paperhanging...
Ha ha...I don't hang myself (OK that sounds weird)
So your correct there buddy, I don't
But I do have to prep rooms for hangers

I'll go in a strip like it was a "strip to paint" job, but prep it for the hanger
There's not much difference really, as my "strip to hang" is pretty close to my "strip to paint"
Even though it's a wallcovering going up, it's still gotta be pretty smooth
And some coverings, more defects show through than others

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.