Wall Preparation For Painting With Portions Of Drywall Exposed - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Wall preparation for painting with portions of drywall exposed

I had the wallpaper removed, along with portions of paint which had been coating the drywall. Problem is all of the paint would not come off. My painter put a base coat over all of it. Now there are huge areas of flat drywall, and areas with some texture all covered in a coat of paint. I think he plans to put drywall mud in the flat areas. Is there any other way to correct this?

Advertisement

Last edited by crjotr; 11-01-2010 at 02:35 PM.
crjotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Not sure what you mean by 'base coat'. You need to apply a skim coat of drywall compound to even out the surface, then sand and prime and then paint

Advertisement

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #3

Thats what I thought, but he applied paint to the bare drywall, and now he has put some skim coat over that!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Yep! but to be fair, I usually prime the walls because it makes the imperfections stand out more, even with new drywall, and with a trouble light I can see where the flaws are.

you can do this yourself too..just walk around with a lamp and a roll of painters tape and mark areas of your concern. If he/she is a good contractor, they will love you for it. Even the best contractors can oversee imperfections..best that the customer shows them and deal with them promptly. Skim coating is not a flawless art...it takes a couple of 'eyes' . Looking at the same wall for hours on end, everything blends in
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #5

Thanks a lot we will see how this goes.