Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

Share |

wall prep

Since I am replacing all the base and shoe(got new flooring) and have to paint that I figured I would go ahead and do all the trim. If I am doing all the trim I figured I might as well do the walls. So, the walls were well prepped before the last painting(about 3 years ago)- sanded and then sponged with tsp and rinsed with a clean damp sponge. The paint is in OK shape, but finishing up the renovation and having a little boy around has made the walls a little dirty and dinged.

So, should I sponge them down with tsp and then rinse, or sand, or(please tell me no) both?

I used Aura in the den/dining area, and a higher end SW(can't remember which) in the hall and master bedroom. Plan to go back with Aura everywhere, same colors.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

wall prep

if the walls are in good shape as you say, just a little dirty, then give them a bath. Double check the wall surface at night with a halogen light shining on the wall at an angle. You'll see if you have any patching to do.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

wall prep

Depends what you mean by a little dirty and dinged. How about a little reg cleaning with something like dirtex and off to the races?
Main thing is you don't want to leave any residue that will cause a problem, but if some crud easily wipes off, do it. then paint.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #4

wall prep

Maybe i'm crazy, but i rarely do more than wipe walls with a damp cloth. I mean unless your kids are slinging mud on the walls, i doubt you need abrasive cleaners...
Using just water guarantees you won't leave soap residue

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ARC Painting For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #5

wall prep

Paint prep...

Water by itself is a terrible cleaner! Sure, it gets off light dust, etc..

BUT....it can't dissolve hairsprays, food-oils, pet-hair oils, soap films, smokers'-film....and the list goes on....

POWDERED Dirtex, or POWDERED Spic-n-Span are what you need to get rid of crap on walls. These rarely need to be rinsed!! Most TSP's need 2 or 3 rinses.
I recommend it to our customers all the time.

I've used powdered Dirtex myself, and it does a great job on walls.
I've been painting our bathroom this week, and wouldn't think of NOT washing the walls there!!!
(DW uses lots of hairspray!)

I get a kick out of people who complain about paint not adhering...
We further inquire about age of existing paint, any cleaners used, sheen of existing paint, etc.
Usually they haven't done any prep....and then think it's the PAINTS' fault!!!

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

wall prep

I have looked for the Dirtex powder and haven't had any success. My paint store doesn't carry it, neither do the 2 local big box outfits.

I have always used TSP and rinsed well but now that I know about Dirtex I want to try it, less labor intensive as far as residue is concerned. I will look for the powdered Spic n Span.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

wall prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7echo View Post
I have looked for the Dirtex powder and haven't had any success. My paint store doesn't carry it, neither do the 2 local big box outfits.

I have always used TSP and rinsed well but now that I know about Dirtex I want to try it, less labor intensive as far as residue is concerned. I will look for the powdered Spic n Span.
Spic n Span, when it was all real, was not much more than TSP but in fancier packaging.

Since TSP is not real anymore, I find prep cleaners I need at the auto parts store. Of course they have to be rinsed but Purple Power, for chimp change per gallon will get anything off a kitchen surface, for example.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

wall prep

Dirtex and spic usually can be found at a real hardware store- Another place worthy of our biz!
user1007 (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

wall prep

[quote=Brushjockey;869092]Dirtex and spic usually can be found at a real hardware store- Another place worthy of our biz![/quote]

If you can find one
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

wall prep

[quote=chrisn;869404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Dirtex and spic usually can be found at a real hardware store- Another place worthy of our biz![/quote]

If you can find one
I still have real hardware stores near me. The one in Pilsen, where I lived first moving back here is beyond magical. You can draw things on paper or do hand puppets and exactly one of what you need appears. Swipe your card for $.35 and you are in and out in seconds. No needing to buy a pack of cheap Chinese crap. Helpful to speak Spanish but the owner is English fluent.

My new hood offers choices within a few blocks or miles and at the moment I need a replacement light bulb.

Spammers hit us with surverys all the time.

Where is Steven going to go to buy a halogen light bulb?

[ ] Home Depot blocks from him where someone in an an orange apron will suggest the halogen bulb will be found with electrical wire nuts. In the plumbing or paint section. Or with bubble gum happening? We are not so sure.

[ ] True Value where he is known and the people without orange aprons will tell him to find the light bulb mixed in with wire nuts on his own. If you cannot find it we will step in and help. You do know you should join our improv comedy troup.

[ ] Ace where all nuts (and bolts) live and Steven has no chance of buying a light bulb without a discussion. But just in case? Does he have a contractor discount card?

[ ] He never replaces the light bulb and learns to live in total darkness, save for when the sun is up.

[ ] He takes his friend Isabel every time she wants to try sports to a place where tee-shirts get handed out. So far, HD, Lowe's and Menard's are yet to appear on kid shirts. NASCAR endorsement is more important. Isabel will not let him shop in a box store that gives nothing back to her or her community. Nasty little creature.

She, age 12, has spotted the high price of low cost.

Last edited by user1007; 03-03-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

wall prep

Not sure if its stand up or the adult soda sds!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

wall prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Not sure if its stand up or the adult soda sds!
Perhaps I stretch the bounds trying to be humorous. Thanks for cornering me, for a moment.

Last edited by user1007; 03-03-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #13

wall prep

Well....

I'VE got Powdered Dirtex AND Spic-n-Span powder in BOTH our Paint-sundries AND Housewares/Cleaning dept's.!!

2 good cleaners, in 2 different dept's., IN THE SAME STORE?!?!?!

"Madness I tell you....sheer MADNESS...!!"

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

wall prep

A 12 year old named Isabel

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote