Wall Patching Shows Through After Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wall Patching Shows Through After Painting

Recently I repaired some areas of a wall in our house that were not very deep (no deeper than an 1/8") using Dap Patching plaster. I folowed the instructions as to letting it dry (waited 24 hrs ) before lightly sanding, etc. Then I applied Kilz 2 latex to the entire wall and then waited another 24 hrs before applying two coats of Glidden Interior Flat (antique white)wall paint.
The problem is when the light hits the wall, the spots where the repairs where done show through. I was under the impression that the Kilz would stop this from occurring.
Can anyone tell me what happened and more importantly, how can I make it so the repairs do not show through and the wall looks uniform.

Thanks in Advance for the help in this very frustrating problem

Advertisement

wcw5961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Central Florida Painter

Rewards Points: 75

Are the patches showing up because the texture doesn't match? Even walls that have no knockdown of orangepeel texture have some texture to the look. Each time they are painted, the roller leaves light texture marks.

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

YourWayPainting-
Looking at the repaired areas again they appear to be lighter than the parts of the wall that did not have any repairs.
The texture looks pretty similiar.
Hope that helps
wcw5961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

I think patching plaster comes out to be smoother than the texture of the roller used on the walls, so when you paint again, that smoothness reflects the light from under the paint.

Hard to tell without seeing the work. If the flat paint is a commonly used paint that can be touched up, you might want to try patching over it again and sanding with a heavier sandpaper. Like 120 grit. then prime and paint again. this may not be the answer, but the best I can do with the info provided.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw5961 View Post
...I applied Kilz 2 latex to the entire wall and then waited another 24 hrs before applying two coats of Glidden Interior Flat (antique white)wall paint.

...when the light hits the wall, the spots where the repairs where done show through.

Can anyone tell me what happened and more importantly, how can I make it so the repairs do not show through and the wall looks uniform.
Can't tell for sure from here
If you sanded and feathered the repairs properly, and it's a paint thing (not a repair not feather sanded enough thing), then may have found your problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw5961 View Post
I was under the impression that the Kilz (Kilz2) would stop this from occurring.
That would be incorrect
Kilz2 is complete crap
(Original Kilz is th only good product they make- and it is good)
IMO the Glidden isn't the best choice either, it's Behrly a step up from the worst paints out there

If you really think it's a paint thing, then another coat should do it
I'd recommend a coat of a premium paint from a paint shop
(Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams...not the contractor grades, but some good stuff)
They can match the color

If there's any color changes over the repairs after a coat of good stuff, then it's something else that's the problem for sure

If you've still got more Glidden left and want to use it, you can try another coat or two...or three....maybe that'll do it
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Like 120 grit
I have had more luck with 120 than the heavier grits on previously painted walls when I have had to patching.

Recently did my bath with finer grit, not satisfied at all. I have wondered about the finer grits not matching witht he wall texture. Of course I guess the amount of sanding would also have its effect.

Advertisement

Last edited by slickshift; 11-16-2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant link
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote