DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wait Time After Rain to Sand Deck

47K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Faron79 
#1 ·
Moture Nature has been really, really fussy these past months.

How long do you havr to wait after it stops raining to sand? I know this will be sun, maybe sun and heat dependant possibly? But, for the most part, if the rain has ended and you see the wood turning back to appearing dry, is this an okay time to start sanding?

#2 ·
Hi Diva, the wood will tell when it's dry enough to sand. Sanding will create dust, and if it doesn't the wood is too damp. Generally, a full day of dry/sun will be sufficient to sand. For staining, generally, two to three good drying days. The wood should have no more than 15 - 18% moisture content to stain. Do a tupperware test. Place an upside down tupperware container on the deck, if you get condensation it's too damp, or use a moisture meter. I'm known to use tarps to protect decks from coming rain, as it's very hard to get the string of days required to complete a deck staining, The 2-3 days after washing, the time involved in staining, and the required 24-36 hours post staining with no rain. DECK is a four letter word.

#3 ·
Joe,
thanks for ALL your info and insight into this insane project. I can not stop laughing at this comment, "DECK is a FOUR letter word"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, is is ever.

funny you mention covering the deck with a tarp, we have done this!!!!! I think DH's decision on that for this time, was......it keeps the dew-moisture in = not good. But, I am going to relay your idea/concept/info and greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.