Very Thick Alligator Cracking - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Very thick alligator cracking

Hi All,
I've been taking off old paint on the back porch with a heat gun. It's working fine but I can't do the whole thing - I just can't imagine heat gunning upside down on the old tongue and grove ceiling or every piece of old clapboard. I just wanted the window sills and ledge to be nice and smooth as that will be right were we would sit.... but the alligator cracking is really noticable and thick - like splits in wood almost. The house is 120+ years old, so yes, it's lead paint for the bottom layer or two or three...

How do you deal with painting over the alligator cracking? Just do it and not worry? Should I prime before I paint it even though there is full coverage of paint? Mostly talking about the ceiling and the clapboard sides and all the stuff up high over my head.

The heat gunned areas are wonderfully clean now and smooth and I'll prime all that before I paint, but I'm wondering how I transition into all the alligator crackles. Also, recommendations on what kind of primer would be helpful too. Exterior backporch, covered, but with screen windows only, zone 5, north facing.

Advertisement

Heidi Kellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 694

Stop no more heat gun! Your would need a special mask and Tyvek suit to start with.
Far safer to use a stripper on this one.
http://www.dumondchemicals.com/home-peel-away-1.html

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 08-24-2012 at 09:38 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Safer yet and much faster. Rent or buy an infrared stripper. They are lightweight and layers of paint will peel effortlessly. Get hands free options if offered so you do not have to keep setting the thing down and picking it up.

Do be mindful of lead abatement requirements whatever method you use.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote