Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

Share |

Very old house, Trying to revive kitchen

Hello,

I recently purchased a house and the kitchen is abysmal. The molding and trim are painted wood that I think have been painted more than ten times. The lines are almost gone. The walls have some minor dings but they are wallpapered and painted over. My issue is WHAT should I do to these walls to get the paint I have to look good again. I'm a newbie at painting and my budget is low. Do you guys have any advice? Should I strip it? I'm terrified of taking the wood down because the walls cannot be in great shape. Thanks in advance!
I would post pictures but they are too large and I don't know how to bring the size down.

nicholer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

Hard to make more then some generization without some pictures.
Any old house is going to always be a challage.
Things like painted wall paper will be among the least of the things your going to find to worry about.
There is no way to get a smooth wall again without at least getting off all the old wall paper, most of the time I do not take the hours and hours needed to do all this. I just remove the plaster down to the studs. This will open the wall up so you can add insulation, fire blocking, up grade wiring, add outlets, then new drywall.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3

I bought a house that was built in the 50s. Before I could afford the big remodel, I redecorated it with stripping cabinet doors and drawer fronts, new cabinet hardware, and four, six-pane cabinet doors. You will have to deal with the walls. It takes elbow grease and mindless work, but remove all the old paper. You can use environmentally friendly paint removers, such as Back To Nature to strip the trim. Patching, priming and finishing will refresh the kitchen and make it liveable. When you get alot of equity, then do the big remodel like Joe suggested.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen, paint, strip