Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Verticle lines on painted walls

I am getting ready to paint a bedroom, and the existing paint/walls exhibit near perfect vertical lines every 4 or 5 feet (floor to ceiling). We noticed this when we bought the house, and assumed they had painted over wallpaper.

After many experiments of scraping, steaming, sanding, etc. I can say with certainty there is/was no wallpaper. It is just paint. Removed all the trim around doors, windows and floor and find now wallpaper edges.

More details: Built in 1984, the walls are all standard 80's drywall board, and 100% plaster skim coated over. I have painted nearly the entire rest of the house, and none of the other rooms had this issue.

My plan for now is to sand the heck out of the walls, but I am wondering if any folks out there might have a guess as to why the walls have these vertical lines. Perhaps something the previous owners did to the walls, I don't know. I just want to make sure when I paint over it, the lines don't come back

Thanks!

Last edited by bmbigda; 03-28-2014 at 04:07 PM.
bmbigda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

a pic or 2 would help

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Sounds more like poorly done drywall seams.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

If they are 4' apart I also would tend toward drywall seams.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
If they are 4' apart I also would tend toward drywall seams.
I just measured. there is consistently 37-38" between the lines.

I can see where you'd question the drywall seams, and it may be, but the plaster work in the rest of this house is flawless, some of the best i've seen. Like I said - I've painted almost every other room, this is one of my last rooms. The other walls are like glass.

Maybe someone re-did the drywall in this room at some point, but I'd expect 48", not 37.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

We can guess a million different things but without pictures it's just blind guessing on our parts. Every 37 to 38 inches eliminates, or should eliminate any framing issues. Could possibly be heating/cooling runs in the walls. There is such a thing as "ghosting" which occurs where the framing is on your walls. Water vapor enters the wall cavity and the studs, for lack of a better term, telegraph through the paint leaving vertical lines, but that would be in 16" intervals based on normal framing standards.

Again, a pic is your best option at getting a more specific answer.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #7

Ghosting:http://enewsletter.housemaster.com/d...3_12_2010.html
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
thanks. pics are on their way. there is a noticeable "seam", something you can feel when you run your finger across it. stand by for pics. my iphone died as i took the last pic
Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #9

lighting is poor in that room, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Verticle lines on painted walls-image.jpg   Verticle lines on painted walls-image2.jpg   Verticle lines on painted walls-image3.jpg   Verticle lines on painted walls-image4.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #10

all of those photos are rotated 90 deg. sorry
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #11

Maybe that room had stripes at one time. The ridge might be where the tape was and they used multiple coats. Or some kind of molding might have been there. Anybody's guess really without those pictures.

Edit: Typed without refreshing the page. It looks like somebody did a faux finish to resemble a painted grass mat type look. They may have taped it to look like sheets or differentiate the pattern. I'd try sanding them flush but it may take a skim of drywall compound over the "seams."

Last edited by iminaquagmire; 03-28-2014 at 09:38 PM.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #12

It looks like painted-over wallpaper and the seams (overlapped) are the lines you are seeing. At least that's what I see from the pics.

I know you stated that there is no wallpaper in the room, but, with a paper that is adhered to the wall with clay-based adhesive and then perhaps painted over several times, the paper literally "becomes the wall" and the only way to tell if it's paper is to cut a piece out of the wall with a utility knife in an inconspicuous corner.

Last edited by Gymschu; 03-28-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

trouble is that ( at least I have never seen) wall paper does not come in 37-38 in widths

that does not mean that there is none but I would go along with lines being painted and these are ridge marks from where the tape was

Last edited by chrisn; 03-29-2014 at 02:52 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
It looks like painted-over wallpaper and the seams (overlapped) are the lines you are seeing. At least that's what I see from the pics.

I know you stated that there is no wallpaper in the room, but, with a paper that is adhered to the wall with clay-based adhesive and then perhaps painted over several times, the paper literally "becomes the wall" and the only way to tell if it's paper is to cut a piece out of the wall with a utility knife in an inconspicuous corner.
I've tried so many ways of proving it is wallpaper. I've even taken a chunk of the wall off, and looked at it cross sectionally. the blue chips offs like paint, exposing plaster beneath. then the plaster chips off and behind it is drywall board.

I've also scored it and applied a paint stripper. the paint strips right off.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmbigda For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #15

Since the lines are straight and the distance is also pretty regular I will also go with tape marks. In your original post you said you were planning on sanding the heck out of it. I might suggest right along one of the lines you cut a small piece out and inspect. This should let you know if the crack is in the wall or just in the paint. Do it in a inconspicuous spot and it should be easy to repair.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote