Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #1

Share |

Valspar signature

Just painted my guest bathroom today. It was more like pushing glue around. The coverage was terrible. Trying to cut in with a Purdy Nylox 2' brush was impossible. Covering a prior eggshell finish. Took the time to clean the walls with tsp too. So disappointed I just wasted $30. Will be going to have the honeymilk color marched in a different brand.

Mroe192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Valspar signature

Try going to a real paint store that sells real paint.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-09-2012), user1007 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Valspar signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe192 View Post
Will be going to have the honeymilk color marched in a different brand.
Is the stuff adhering at least? If not, you know nothing you put over it is going to fix all layers underneath to the wall?

I must say I have used donated Valspar as a volunteer painter for charitable causes and was not wild about it and would never use it in my home or those of clients, but I did not fight it like you did. I did not have to guarantee my volunteer work and would never have with crap paint. Just out of curiosity check the date on the stuff? Did Lowe's sell you something like 30 day old fresh fish? Ever seen a box store truck waiting to be unloaded in -20F weather with wind chills down to -30F but stuck in line for 1.5 days because their was nobody inside to unload it? Or in 100F and 98% humidity for that matter? Canned paint does not fare well under these conditions.

Most paint stores selling real paint have color formula translation guides for each others color chip numbers and names. I don't know if they will have box store colors. I would doubt not with the possible exception of Pittsburgh with products of the same name sold as real paint in Pittsburgh paint stores and absolute crap in Menard's.

Just to be safe, paint out a couple coats on a square scrap of drywall, posterboard or something before you dry out the crap and trash it in frustration.

Many paint stores have scanners that will match your color exactly. They will even let you name it whatever you want. Most stores will also store the formula for a time. I have a database of all colors and formulas going back 20 years for clients. I do get calls from some wanting the same thing painted that along ago because the color still works for them. The paint store no longer has the card and they forgot and painted over the color name/formula on the lid.

If you have a calibrated monitor and scanner (just select for 6500K in the display profiles) you can do it too. Scan in the the swatch you paint. Use a free pixel grabber to get its RGB code.

Were you happy with the color or as long as you have to paint again would you like to tweak it? I was a painter for many, many years but before and now after forced into retirement I am a color consultant. My fave program for color exploration is Color Impact from Tiger Color in Oslo. Plunk in your scanned RGB code and just to start, you can see what tints and shades of it will look like. You can anchor it to build a color wheel to see what other colors will work with it. Tons of fun options and more fun for me than video games. My MFA thesis was on color. You can try it for free for 30 days (full version) or I think it is a whopping $40US or something. Anyhow, either with your original RGB code or one from exploration with something like Color Impact?

Go to the free site (for basics) www.easyrgb.com and fine tune the color of your monitor using their tool (even if yours is as tweaked as mine). Type in the RGB code your pixel grabber kicked back. Select a color collection from the list---most all real paint companies are there. Hit the button, and the four closest matches with color names and codes will appear instantly.

It is a great tool if you find colors or combinations you like in a photo, magazine feature etc. I use it all the time. I happen to think nature a great source of perfect color schemes and often just grab pixels from photos and follow the steps above. In the old days, people would hand me wallpaper or fabric samples and ask me to find paint to match. Not that I mind working with fan decks but grabbing pixels, running them through Color Impact and easyrgb.com is so much easier.

And don't forget the free virtual painting programs from Ben Moore, SW and others. Just use one of the sample photos or mask your own and paint with a mouseclick.

Last edited by user1007; 04-09-2012 at 11:11 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
the Musigician

Valspar signature

The words "is garbage" removed from the title as per our rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This is a "how to do it yourself" site and not a "why I hate this product" site. If you have a question about a product or need help with it please post about it. If you're here just to make some sort of public statement about a product or company then this is not the place for you.

Thanks.
DM
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Valspar signature

I just read through a thread where someone thought Valspar was the cat's meow or something. Strange...

There is a reason why contractors stick with Sherwin Williams and Benjamin moore. They are the ones who have to put a warranty on the job and they are the ones who have to pay extra when a job doesn't look right after 2 coats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
the Musigician

Valspar signature

It would seem when it come to choice of paints, some of our members really have a (paint) chip on their shoulder!

DM
Gymschu (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Valspar signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
some of our members really have a (paint) chip on their shoulder!DM
Wow! I was really upset earlier when my claws came out and I wanted to play with a Mensa. Like him, I have often bragged publicly about my IQ of 60, even before people notice I drool a lot and cannot tie my own shoes without help of a trained cat.

Some said I was Mensa but I flunked all the tests. I found them irrelevant. And after years of marker fumes in art school (undergrad and MFA) and then all the years of different kinds of paint fumes, including the new no fume stuff. I turned grey and dull. Some suggest I just aged but it was being around paint.

A senior moderator, quite appropriately, took down the post before I could deliver a mouse to the guy's shoe while he was sleeping.

DM, thanks for using your left over easter egg dye to put paint in the word color. Really made my day.

As for color chips on shoulders? I am too tinted and shaded to comment!

Last edited by user1007; 04-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
the Musigician

Valspar signature

AMAZING! In 5 minutes, your I.Q. dropped 20 points! From 80 before the edit to 60!!!
At THAT rate, well..... you're the genius, you figure it out.

....paint in the word color?

You're too funny.

DM
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

Valspar signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
The words "is garbage" removed from the title as per our rules.

DM
Pretty sure that's not what Nathan implied when writting that.
It seems to me that he's referring to someone starting a post and bad mouthing a product.
If you were to remove every derogatory comment about a product/item in every ones post you'd be a pretty busy guy!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
the Musigician

Valspar signature

"If you're here just to make some sort of public statement about a product or company then this is not the place for you." is EXACTLY what he meant! And yes, we DO stay pretty busy cleaning up posts when our members get out of hand! It's what we live for! ...well, that and banning spammers and idiots.

DM
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
DIY Enthusiast

Valspar signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
"If you're here just to make some sort of public statement about a product or company then this is not the place for you." is EXACTLY what he meant! And yes, we DO stay pretty busy cleaning up posts when our members get out of hand! It's what we live for! ...well, that and banning spammers and idiots.

DM
Keep up the good work!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #12

Valspar signature

Never had much trouble with Valspar paints. I use the gold label that is a grade below the Signature line. While it's not the very best paint out there, it usually does a serviceable job. To me it's about the same as SW's Promar 400.........
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (04-09-2012), ltd (04-09-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #13

Valspar signature

How on earth do you clean a brush you've used for Valspar Signature interior oil paint. Mineral spirits can't get it out even if you leave in the can overnight. Laquer thinner works a little better but is hard on brushes. Gasoline won't do it either. I never had any oil paint before that wouldn't clean up easy with solvents. What's going on?
froggy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Valspar signature

Did you use a natural bristle or other brush formulated for use with solvent based paints?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #15

Valspar signature

Sable artist brush, roller, oil paint brush, it's all the same. This gunky stuff just doesn't want to come out. Something's resisting the solvent.

froggy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coverage, cutting in, valspar